View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
Regarding using ED in a dedicated partition vs a file image, is there no performance incentive whatsoever to using it in its own partition?

One of the reasons I decided to go with 2 additional ext3 partitions for Easy Debian is that after the problems I had, I don't like the idea of an ext3 image hosted in a FAT32 partition, as I think it can result in problems with the image itself when corruption in the host partition takes place (just a theory).
Freeing the ED chroot from the image brings a quite noticeable performance boost, because it eliminates the problem of having one file system on top of another, both not necessarily aligned to each other.

But it is not necessary to have a dedicated partition for that chroot. All it needs is a folder on a file system that supports POSIX file permissions (like the ext filesystems but not vfat).
Basically I could release ED "images" as simple tarballs containing only directories and files that users simply extract into a dedicated directory. The only reason I don't do this is because I assume that most people still have their big partition as vfat MyDocs and therefore require some POSIX-compatible overlay.

I for one have three different chroots running at the moment: wheezy_armel, wheezy_armhf and jessie_armel
Each of them sits in its own subdirectory (with these names) on my /home/user partition.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: