View Single Post
Why I am excited about MeeGo:
  • Base is open source with multiple contributing vendors. This means less dependence on only Nokia for support & enhancements.
  • UX layer is vendor-specific, but Nokia seems to be gradually increasing the openness of their code. So, again, you're less dependent on Nokia for support & enhancements.
  • Possibility of other hardware configurations. I want a MeeGo version of the iPad!
  • I am hoping that the focus on Qt 4.6 means development & deployment tools will continue to mature. This makes me hope that if I choose to spend my limited free time in development, I'll be less likely to lose hours slogging through arcane problems.
  • Qt 4.6 is cross-platform. This makes it more worth it for me to spend my time learning it. I think it will be the same for a lot of Windows users who bought the N900 and got completely bewildered when they tried to start developing.
  • I hope that Qt 4.6's cross-platform nature translates to more apps. As has been eloquently stated on t.m.o. before, if every time you release a new version of the OS (e.g. Maemo 4, Maemo 5, etc.) you reset your app count to zero, it's pretty hard to catch up with Apple & Android. But with Qt 4.6, I hope that there is a better chance that an app someone develops for a Harmattan machine will work on my MeeGo tablet (or vice versa). I'm hoping that will help, although there may still be hardware considerations.

BTW, that last point argues that Nokia should be trying to get Qt 4.6 on as many platforms as possible. If someone could write an open source Qt 4.6 app for Android (for example), when maybe that app could fairly easily run on the N900 as well (for example).

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post: