View Single Post
I thought it about time to start an actual thread for my little pet project to keep people updated on what I'm doing..very slowly. The basic idea was to take Debian Jessie and try to get some upstream packages from Nemo to see if I can get Hildon running on a GTK3 stack, derived from the earlier work on Cordia.

Luckily some Nemo packages still include dpkg rules files, others I've just had to make or update as I went. As for the work inherited from Cordia, initial builds were failing due to a load of deprecaited/removed functions. After much googling I managed to get it to the stage where several component actually built so have gone ahead, very very slowly in trying to bring more of it up to date.

Current status is that hildon-desktop, hildon-home, hildon-status-menu and status-menu-applet-profiles "run" in a amd64 test environment using systemd-nspawn.

For hildon-desktop, you have multiple desktop panning, menu/launcher and task switcher. Menu is lacking blur effect (tidy>mx & clutter 1.20 changes), task preview is cropped (probably an error on my part converting to draw signal) and dialog boxes lack title bar background. Animation code is a nightmare as the replacement to the deprecaited code is depreciated, with the newest API lacking decent examples.

hildon-home is lacking features due to other packages not being available, it pretty much only shows desktop customisation menu with option to change wallpaper and set the number of desktops available.

status-menu-applet-profiles and hildon-status-menu were ported to just test them out. There is a layout issue in the status bar's dropdown menu where it lacks padding around the buttons and no icons due to theme.

libhildon itself is on a bit of a diet. A lot of the code is to put touch support into GTK2 elements, so that isn't needed. HildonPannableArea is still having stuff taken out, literally all it needs over GtkScrolledWindow is a way of tracking its own Gtk{V/H}Adjustments to allow scroll_to and jump_to. There's one function I need to add back in and a lot of unused variable to remove. Some widgets like the calendar that Cordia IIRC removed I may have to reinstate in some form or replace to retain functionality.

Todays work has been to start removing more depreciated clutter code from hildon-desktop, particularly ClutterTexture from hd-clutter-cache replacing with ClutterImage/ClutterContent & GdkPixbuf. This is in preparation of fixing the missing dialog title bar background. Need to rework the reload callback and test further.

Most of the code is in my repos:
https://github.com/android-808?tab=repositories

You need to import a theme manually and setup correct links in theme directory for hildon-desktop to even start at the moment. You may be able with some fiddling be able to use the actual debs but to avoid dependency issues I wouldn't bother at the moment.

Cordia's terminal app is partially ported but no repo yet.

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post: