View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by DennisHeine View Post
main reason for me to want standard debian is to get the latest firefox/chrome browser for whatsapp web, and to get docker running on the n900 (just don't ask ^^) - also i want gnome3, which isn't available in squeeze.
You do realise that both the latest Firefox and Chrome require way more memory than the N900 has?

I don't think you've understood me yet, Maemo Leste is built on top of Devuan, that means it includes the entire Devuan software library which is almost identical to Debian. The same Firefox, Chrome, Docker and GNOME 3 packages are available in Leste. The kernel is currently missing all of the config options required for full container support. I recently built a kernel based on the Leste kernel with these options enabled. You can find the config here:

https://github.com/dderby/n9xx-linux...rx51_defconfig

This should make its way into the Leste kernel at some point. The plan is to support Anbox containers, so that might be a better way for you to run WhatsApp, if it doesn't run out of memory that is.

kernel 4.9 is currently compiling, but it takes a hell of time to complete on the n900.
You're building it on the device? Good luck with finishing that sometime this year!

the gsm phone shouldnt be much of a problem, the curernt kernel contains a n900 modem/gsm driver (maybe it has to get patched for voice data, but it seems possible.), which is another reason for me wanting to get a clean install.
i've found a python phone that uses ofono after hours of searching which runs with fixed python repositories and manually compiled pygtk, as long as the modem driver is running.
You'll need libcmtspeech to get audio. Not available in Debian or Devuan but I believe it has now been packaged for Leste.

maybe i can contribute it to the Devuan team. do you know which kernel they are using? (n900 modem support has been added to 3.16 afaik). it could become hard to get it into devuan, because as said before it needs a patched kernel for voice support (mainline kernel only has got ssi, whereas voice requires hsi). i don't know if the project maintainer will give his ok to this.
I can't remember which kernel was used when the stable release was cut, it's definitely newer than 3.16 but it's still older than the Leste kernel. Stable means stable, you won't be able to get a new kernel into the stable release. The Maemo Leste image builder is built on top of the Devuan arm-sdk. The Devuan arm-sdk maintainer is also involved in Maemo Leste and was the one who created the Leste image builder. When the next Devuan release is cut, it will most likely use the latest kernel that has already been tested in Leste.

edit: yeah, my phone drained again... damn bs, it has to be restarted every half an hour, and kernel compilations takes hours, up to days.
in my next live, i'll start a carreer as a politican. that's much less of an hassle.
Why bother? Forget about Devuan and just use Leste which comes with Linux 4.15.7 plus PVR patches!

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: