Thread: [SailfishOS] Mapbox GL Native QML plugin
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Hello @ringius (and @jdrescher, @otsaloma, @MartinK),

Background:
I was surprised to find mapboxgl-qml installed on my Jolla 1 phone. While OSMscout server, PoorMaps, ModRana and Laufhelden are installed, PoorMaps GL and associated libraries were not installed (at least not manually and deliberately).
Looking for the reason, I found that Laufhelden's RPM Spec-file pulls in mapboxgl-qml unconditionally.

As supposedly mapboxgl-qml was already installed for some time and I did not experience any effects, I wonder:
  • May mapboxgl-qml cause any negative effects on Jolla 1 phones, besides the disk space used and having another RPM installed (plus eventual dependencies)?
  • Can mapboxgl-qml be of any use on Jolla 1 phones (i.e. albeit slow, is this technically feasible at all)?
  • If not, why does it install at all (in an unsupported environment)?
These questions are aiming in two directions:
  • How should authors of software handle a potential dependency on mapboxgl-qml, which varies with the environment (i.e. device / installed libraries)?
  • Is there any chance of enabling mapboxgl-qml to run on Jolla 1 phones (no matter how slow)?
Many thanks to you all for your marvelous work!
Hi,

mapboxgl-qml should not pull any additional packages. Its dependencies are given at https://build.merproject.org/package...latest_armv7hl

Except disk space usage, I don't see any possible side effects of having it installed on the phone if it's not used. We have debugged J1 a while ago and I might have forgotten some details, but as far as I remember, Mapboxgl was crashing itself, without bringing down the whole device. Note that some trivial maps did seem to work on J1. So, we can speculate that its possible to reduce some internal memory consumption by simplifying the schema of the map. However, its not guaranteed to work, maybe limited only to some targeted Mapboxgl versions (not work with the next release), and will probably require lots of work. Taking into account that all newer devices seem to be fine, we may just have to accept that J1 is showing its age and is going to retire with the respect of this application.

As for having it as dependency, I don't know how Laufhelden can specify them depending on the device, unless some special stripped down version will be provided without the maps.

I don't know how Laufhelden disabled the map on J1 (assuming that's your question), you probably can enable it back in the source.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: