View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by chainsawbike View Post
it appears you have a mis-understanding on how spam filtering works,
it is not an exact science, what this means is that the filters are not perfect, they never will be as as long as we have people making spam filters there will be spammers working out how to get around them
Perhaps I do have a skewed view of spam filtering. But the pattern is easily seen. Random named person signs up. Random named person makes a post with randomly generated title. Random generated title post is filled with a sentence to avoid the 10 character limit. Post is saved then posted. Then post is edited with the crap URL.

Spam filtering should be able to find a fault point in the many aforesaid steps and stop it. Not that it's disallowing signups; we should disallow something else because filtering is working only in percentages. Process can find a way to get the rest.

so getting spam != failure of filters
it means some spammers have worked out how to get around our current filters, but _MANY_ more attempts were blocked by them
I don't doubt it. But I'm still tired of cleaning them up. It just looks wrong on a forum I actually like. So I delete them as I run across them.

Two today so far...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: