View Single Post
Tex, I think you are overdoing things (I, too, was misled initially by some obscure indications, especially on the PyQt site). For Windows it should be much simpler than that :-)

In my experience, on a windows machine it is enough to run the Python installer, then the PyQt installer (which will pull in Qt, QScintilla and other stuff). I seem to remember I had to manually add to my Windows PATH a pointer to some folder for Qt binaries, but that is documented somewhere.

After that you can just run the Windows Eric4 installer, which is not strictly necessary but sometimes useful, especially for compiling Qtdesigner forms to Python, populating menus etc.

Personally I find Eric4 a bit on the heavy side for the coding part itself; I prefer to use SciTe (wscite) which is a much lighter IDE, actually just a very good editor with the capability to run programs and see the output in a side panel. I just run Eric4 when I need it for the tasks above.

This is all you should need to get started. If you've never used SVN/PySVN before I suggest you defer that until you're comfortable with the basics. Again, for the sort of stuff I do I've never felt the need to go that far.

Finally, if you're serious about this (and I believe it deserves it, my first project blew my mind compared to anything I'd done before), I not only recommend, but consider as mandatory, that you buy/steal/borrow and read Mark Summerfield's "Rapid GUI programming with Python and Qt" (Prentice hall). It is worth every penny, a joy to learn with, will get you up to speed in no time, and will save you man-ages of hair pulling.

PS: when choosing the three installers above, just make sure they're all for the same version of Python. If the final target is Maemo, that would be 2.5 right now.

Last edited by fpp; 2009-12-17 at 09:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post: