View Single Post
Originally Posted by ivnvir View Post
why not pack all this stuff in deb (imagemagick and everything)?

why everyone has to suffer instead of just one suffering making a deb?

or am I missing something?
Yeah, you're missing something man: that's exactly what kumatux.org was designed for, so that you wouldn't install stuff from debs pulling all the dependencies in, potentially messing up your system, removing system parts etc. That's what happens actually in the N900 if you install some sdk, devel stuff etc.

This way, you just extract the compiled package anywhere on your system, you can put it in /media/trash or whatever, and just run kumatux.org-link and can use it.

Sure, you need to take care of the dependencies, like this xbindkeys stuff, but if something goes wrong you don't have a bricked system, you don't need no reflashes, you are guaranteed all system files are untouched and can easily go back via just kumatux.org-unlink

And most stuff I compiled has no dependency hell, this xbindkeys stuff is by far the worst...

Guess, it depends on what you consider suffering. I'm not a beginner in GNU/Linux I'd think, but I had to reflash this damn Nokia more than a hundred times, when I was compiling stuff, installing it into the system, or pulling in SDK dependencies etc. So came up with this super-clean solution, even enabling users without root access to use any app anywhere.

Think it's quite potent, just requires so CLI work, but I think it's well worth it.