View Single Post
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I have started using linux over 10 years ago, modded and flashed an erickson phone to look like iphone, modded android phone, installed maybe 15 different linux distros (tinycore, puppy, crunchbang, bodhi, slitaz, sparky, subgraph, kali, lubuntu, jolicloud, etc.) to different aged laptops (96Mb ram upward) which all have had their own problems with graphic cards or wifis etc. Yet it has all this time stayed as a mystery to me what are these: bin, dev, etc, initrd, lib, opt, proc, root, sbin, srv, sys, usr, var etc.

I have modified many .conf files and messed around with xorg and all kinds of stuff but just by googling and copypasting according to the instructions I have found. I have now started to think that now after using linux over 10 years it could be time to start to learn those things cause in this forum it would give me a better standpoint on discussions. I don't have friends who use linux and I have never before been a member on any linux site so there has not been a need for understand things, just to use them. And I think that knowing these mysterious things would give me some benefit while I try to mod this N900. What do you think? Should I try to learn what is behind this stuff or is it just a waste of time?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: