View Single Post
Originally Posted by frethop
However, the YWE is very memory intensive. I'm running 3 widgets right now -- a clock, a weather watcher, and a todo list -- and they are together sucking up 14MB of memory. There's an instance of the YWE for each widget. I'm afraid memory would be gone in a hurry for the 770.
Agreed on this; I didn't run Konfabulator on my Dell C600 because it was too resource-intensive, for what should be a relatively simple task - especially for a background app. I guess the Konfabulator team just decided not to worry about system resources in the same way you'd have to for smaller devices, and of course they had to make the programming simple for users.

I'd expect/hope that the engine COULD be a lot simpler while still remaining compatible with existing widgets - it's starting to sound like perhaps it would be easier to support Dashboard widgets than YWE - and looking at the download page there's plenty of those too. The trick is "just" getting Java or Javascript on board :-I

J2ME sounds logical in many respects; but I guess Nokia have to think about how existing J2ME apps fit in with the 770's screen, lack of keyboard and usage profile.

[d]