View Single Post
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Once the mobile hardware support stops being such a shitshow and some sort of standardization develops, like the one we more or less have with desktop/servers/laptops then we can hopefully have community driven distros on smartphones.
Until then I'm afraid we will need commercial entities, such as Jolla, doing all the dirty work needed to have at least some carefully selected mobile devices supported by a standard-like Linux distro.
Stupid layman question:
Why *is* mobile hardware support such a shitshow indeed?
I can't explain to myself why - on the one hand - you can just download one of hundreds of linux distros and install them on any old computer, and there's a pretty good chance everything will just work right out of the box (and if it doesn', there's a good chance it can be fixed in a matter of hours); while - on the other´ hand -
there's a company of skillful engineers (Jolla) making it its top priority to make this one Linux distro (Sailfish) run on this specific mobile computer (Sony Xperia X) that they have all the specs and drivers for, but they can't get it finished in a matter of six months? I just don't get it. What accounts for this incredible difference in difficulty?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post: