Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Actually, I can't count the number of times I've wished this board had some kind of nesting reply structure, or thread-forking feature, or something, to keep this exact problem from happening. I wish we could split the conversation about alternative sub-forums, which is important in its own right, into a separate thread and not pollute this thread, which was, briefly, about problems in Mer.

( I'm not a bad person. I've just had some bad luck. )

Start a new thread, quoting the most important (to the new topic) posts, and post a link to it in the old thread? At least if it's caught early enough...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
. . . or thread-forking feature . . .
That's what moderators do, and something I'd like to see happen once the Talk transition is made and some moderators are added to the team.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Actually, I can't count the number of times I've wished this board had some kind of nesting reply structure, or thread-forking feature, or something, to keep this exact problem from happening. I wish we could split the conversation about alternative sub-forums, which is important in its own right, into a separate thread and not pollute this thread, which was, briefly, about problems in Mer.

( I'm not a bad person. I've just had some bad luck. )
Yup.

For example,

Allow OP mod rights in own topic.
Start new thread, close old thread.
Allow OP to give people right to edit his/her FP.
Or allow subthreads to be defined with posts sorted (threaded) this way.

Most people only read the first few posts; mostly the first one. So, the first post is very important.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
While booting up an install with ubuntu desktop as described in this thread: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25975 I get the mer boot screen, but then the boot processes seems to freeze about 3/4 of the way through. If I let it run long enough, the line at the bottom will eventually progress the full way across the screen, but gnome does not ever load and it remains on the splash screen (though the screen does eventually dim and then turn off if it is not touched in a while and will turn back on if it is touched).

Does anyone have any ideas? I tried checking the dmesg log, but apparently it has to be turned on for it to record the boot process output and I've been having a hard time finding the right way to do that on ubuntu's forums.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
For good measure, the addition of Mer components into a raw ubuntu jaunty setup isn't entirely supported and a bit of a hack the way it's done there We hope however to wrap the efforts in getting ubuntu-desktop on tablet into Mer, as a DE amongst others, though. So if people want to switch from hildon to GNOME they can simply use apt-get

What you're running into is possibly an old xserver-xorg-video-omapfb which does not try to set it's fb update mode correctly.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
For good measure, the addition of Mer components into a raw ubuntu jaunty setup isn't entirely supported and a bit of a hack the way it's done there We hope however to wrap the efforts in getting ubuntu-desktop on tablet into Mer, as a DE amongst others, though. So if people want to switch from hildon to GNOME they can simply use apt-get

What you're running into is possibly an old xserver-xorg-video-omapfb which does not try to set it's fb update mode correctly.
Yeah, I kind of noticed that. It's pretty hard to ensure all of the installed components are actually from the mer repo that need to be. Eventually, we'll probably just need to make our own version of the ubuntu-desktop meta package for the mer repository and call it ubuntu-desktop-mer or something similar that will ensure the package manager installs the specific packages from the mer repos and won't conflict with any regular ubuntu-desktop packages as I pointed out in the jaunty thread.

Edit: I'm also curious why we aren't using the up to date gtk library from jaunty which also leads to the problem of not being able to install hildon and gnome simultaneously in Mer.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-16 at 17:30.

Tags
mer, ubuntu