Active Topics

I'm using PARTED to try to cut my 4G card into two partitions: 2G FAT32 and 2G EXT2. Currently it is 4G FAT32 in one partition.

I unmounted the device and virtual memory is off. Then I tried (in xterm as root):
parted /dev/mmcblk0p1
resize 1 0 2000

This moved some data around for a while then produced the following error:
Error: Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition
/dev/mmcblk0p1p1 -- Invalid Argument. This means linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/mmcblk0p1p1 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it or use it.

So where did the extra p1 in mmcblk0p1p1 come from? Rebooting didn't work, it still shows the partition size to be the full 4G and not 2G. What am I doing wrong?

Also, while I can't find any information anywhere, I assume I'm doing this right: Resize the first partion then mkpartfs 2000 to 3964 EXT2for the second half of the SD Card. I've searched all over the web for help, but I'm just not getting anywhere.

Eric

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Use your N8x0 to partition the SD:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Partitioning_a_flash_card

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Or make it semi automatic with Penguinbait's console tools :
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...38&postcount=1

I am using my N800. I can't get GParted or Penguinbait's tools to work. When I try running PB or PBEASY it tries to open xterm and can't so then it fails. I don't know how to trick it into using the osso_xterm instead of trying to call xterm.

The only partion tool I've been able to get to work on my N800 is PARTED. But then again, PARTED isn't really working either.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Canada
if there is not much thing in the SD, I would use sfdisk, mkdosfs and mke2fs to do it. follow instructions in the wiki. i do not think you have to download e2fsprogs and insmod, because i tried insmod before and finally i found out the module has already been there.
with the help of others and my effort to google internet, I solved some confusions. this is my experience.

You could also just try using Linux or a LiveCD and partition it that way (boot Linux up or run live CD, install gparted [I use Ubuntu]. Have n800 run in flash memory mode (default mode) and plug into computer, partition cards from there.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
parted, partition