Active Topics

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Does someone know how is the qwertz hardware keyboard layout on the N810? I've only seen pictures with the US keyboard (even on nokia.de).

I ask because I'd like to know if the keyboard can be used to enter diacritical marks (accents, umlauts, characters like ü, ä, è, à, etc). The keyboard has far less keys than a standard keyboard and on the US version all the keys are used already. What dead keys are available and where are they placed? I'd like to know how usable the hardware keyboard is when you enter non-English text.

It may look like something minor to the English speaking users of this forum, but I can assure you that keyboard layout can be a major annoyance. Taking the example of the Nokia SU-8W bluetooth keyboard, the top row (the one with the number) is not present and you need to press a special key to emulate it. This renders this keyboard next to unusable if you use the standard French (azerty) layout, because this top row of keys is used a lot (it carries all the accents, apostrophe, etc...), so that you end up having to switch keyboard modes every second word, forgetting to switch it back and typing the wrong characters, etc... Personally, I use the Swiss French layout (it is adapted to both French and German), and I already find it annoying, essentially because of the apostrophe, present on the top row and used a lot in French.

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
There is 7 layouts for hardware keyboard:
us, fisenoda, ptes, fr, de, ru, it

Last edited by gLobster; 2007-12-08 at 09:21.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by gLobster View Post
There is 7 layouts for hardware keyboard:
us, fisenoda, ptes, fr, de, ru, it
Thanks, but the question is: how do I type accents and umlauts on the de keyboard?

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
If you hold <Chr> key while pressing <a> it will type à. If you continue to hold <Chr> and press <a> additional times it will cycle though the other possibilities: á æ â

Alternately, if you press and release <Chr> it will display a two row menu of accented and other special characters. You can scroll to additional rows or choose the correct character by tapping the screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparkling For This Useful Post:
Does this <Chr> key exist on all keyboard layouts and does it work the same? Read: Can I enter á, æ, ä on any keyboard?

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
I know it's been mentioned in n800 section but since it's very n810 specific I thing it's worth reminding.
I've just found it - installed on Diablo using install file from the page below - works perfectly (ukeyboard).

http://upir.cz/maemo/keyboards/

HW section is the most interesting for us.

Quote:
On-screen keyboard:
Arabic (Lebanon)
Bulgarian (BDS and phonetic)
Croatian (QWERTZ and QWERTY)
Czech (QWERTZ and QWERTY)
Hungarian (QWERTZ)
English (Dvorak)
Esperanto (QWERTY)
Slovak (QWERTZ and QWERTY)
Thai (Kedmanee)

Sliding keyboard:
Bulgarian (phonetic)
Czech (QWERTZ and QWERTY)
Slovak (QWERTZ and QWERTY)
Polish

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
on the qwertz (german) keyboard you have buttons for ö, ä, ü and a Fn-button-link to ß on the - button

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Switzerland
Hi,

here is a photo of my N810, which has a QWERTZ keyboard :

As I write in french, I have remapped some keys :

Ö -> é
Ä -> è
Ü -> à
ß -> ç

It works perfecly