Active Topics

Hi. I've got a n800 with os2008 here. When I try to mount anything with the loopback, I get an error:

Code:
# mount -o loop -t ext3 /media/mmc1/kde4.img /mnt/kde4
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /mnt/kde4 failed
#
(And yes, I'm trying to compile kde4 SVN for os2008. Stay tuned (in the next couple of days) to see how it turns out.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
two notes . 1. check with PenguinBait (he's got up to kde3.8 running) he might be able to work with you on 4.x

2. There are loopback devices on the n800 itself however support for them AFAIK isn't compiled into the kernel. For sure there isn't a loop module.

Alright. Is there any way that I can install a loopback module from maemo.org (or someplace else?) or do I have to compile a new kernel (Ugh...). What about penguinbait's project with xfce? doesn't that use a loopback device to do its magic?

Ok, I manged to work around the problem by formatting my memory card as ext3 and just sticking the filesystem on there. Now I'm having problems getting rid of hildon desktop (well, just stopping it but still having wifi running to start kde4). BTW Dolphin works =). And konqueror complains about missing files... Hmm...

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Originally Posted by wolf08 View Post
Alright. Is there any way that I can install a loopback module from maemo.org (or someplace else?) or do I have to compile a new kernel (Ugh...). What about penguinbait's project with xfce? doesn't that use a loopback device to do its magic?
His projects all have you doing the move to SD then reflash the rootfs (not the whole Fiasco image)

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
I get this error when I do not have the support for the contained file system. For example, I need to first load ext3 module otherwise I get this fail. Always the case.

Would be really great to see even kde 3.x packaged.
From what I understand, you will do a loop image. Too bad..

Yes, xfce probably uses a loop back as it's image can be put on vfat and xfce probably needs soft link not supported by vfat.

Last edited by free; 2007-12-28 at 12:02.

i thought loop was only needed when img was on same disk. does it work without -o loop option?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
A loop associates an ordinary file (opposed to special files: block or character) to a device.
As an example, if you want to use linux soft links on fat system, you create a file called "something.txt" (with dd), you create an ext2/3 filesystem in it (with mkfs) and then you tell the Virtual File System to see this file as a device (using mount -o loop).
But for the system to be able to mount the file, the underlying fs (contained in the file) has to be known by the system (cat /proc/filesystems).
modprobe ext2
mount something.txt /mnt/loop0 -o loop