Active Topics

Couple of quick questions:

1) I have OpenSSH installed to facilitate PC<->N800 wireless transfers. I assume it's running some kind of listening daemon on the N800 - sshd perchance. Does this have an effect on battery life in standby mode? Do I need to kill this process to save battery life?

2) I was requested to change the root password on installing OpenSSH. I'm suprised that BecomeRoot via sudo gainroot seems to give me access to a root shell without asking for the root password - is this correct?

Many thanks for any assistance,
Spann

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by spann View Post
1) I have OpenSSH installed to facilitate PC<->N800 wireless transfers. I assume it's running some kind of listening daemon on the N800 - sshd perchance. Does this have an effect on battery life in standby mode? Do I need to kill this process to save battery life?
I have not noticed any ill effects with having ssh installed on my N800/N810.

Originally Posted by spann View Post
2) I was requested to change the root password on installing OpenSSH. I'm surprised that BecomeRoot via sudo gainroot seems to give me access to a root shell without asking for the root password - is this correct?
My understanding is that this is normal, the becomeroot and sudo gainroot method do not require a password. Its good that ssh installation gets all users to change the root Password from the default! (Reasons described in a number of other threads)

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
1) i cant imagine there to be much overhead with the sshd daemon running. you may want to try and see what results you get. post back with your findings.

2) becomeroot grants you access to the root shell via sudo. the package/sudo privilege is setup so that you dont have to give a password. gain root access and issue "visudo". you will see the contents of /etc/sudoers. this file contains all the sudo access granted to processes and the user, and what kind of access is granted.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. If I do determine battery drain for sshd then I'll report back, although I'm not sure how to quantify it exactly.

On the subject of sshd, I am having a problem connecting to the N800 using WinSCP sometimes. It seems to work fine immediately following a reboot, but after some indeterminate point, WinSCP will no longer connect to it - the attempt to connect times out. A reboot fixes the issue.

Does the sshd daemon, or whatever WinSCP connects to, stop working after a period of time - or perhaps after going into standby mode?

Thanks,
Spann

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i would suspect that when the nokia goes into low power mode, there may be a brief interrupt to the current connections.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@spann: sshd (the ssh daemon) shouldn't take too much power as long as it's just sitting there. However if you leave a connection from the desktop to the tablet open it will definitely hurt battery life. As for it being unresponsive: A lot of us have been seeing that and we think it's connected to the N8x0's wifi going into power saving mode. If you could try a quick test: Next time winscp won't connect from your windows machine, try opening the browser on the tablet and going to any website. Then try the connection again.

-John