Active Topics

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
This originally started as Internal Memory Card is now Read-Only
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16333

I believe I've isolated the cause to the swap file problem.

When the N800 is booted with my 2GB card with the 128MB swap file in the Internal slot, the card becomes read-only. When it is in the External slot - no problem at all.

Furthermore, with it in the Internal slot, I am unable to do anything to the swap file in Control Panel \ Memory. Can't remove or resize.

Until I solve this issue, I am unable to install any new programs or update current ones. I continue to get the "Downloading XXXX failed" message.

I know I could reflash and restore, but I'd like to know the find of the problem so I don't stumble into the trap again.

Any ideas?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
This originally started as Internal Memory Card is now Read-Only
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16333

I believe I've isolated the cause to the swap file problem.

When the N800 is booted with my 2GB card with the 128MB swap file in the Internal slot, the card becomes read-only. When it is in the External slot - no problem at all.

Furthermore, with it in the Internal slot, I am unable to do anything to the swap file in Control Panel \ Memory. Can't remove or resize.

Until I solve this issue, I am unable to install any new programs or update current ones. I continue to get the "Downloading XXXX failed" message.

I know I could reflash and restore, but I'd like to know the find of the problem so I don't stumble into the trap again.

Any ideas?
Take the card to a PC card reader and delete the swap file.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Hi.
I have a same problem with 4GB SDHC card (in both internal and external slots). At first time it happens, when iactivated a swap file on internal card. after a few days memory card makes "read only". ater disabling swap file and formating card i have't this problem for 1 month.

After a month trouble comes back ]. Again copying files on pc and formatting of a card. After that I have changed 4GB SDHC and 256MB SD in slots. The problem began to appear in external clot (where there is 4GB a card). I.e. a problem in SDHC memory card?

Flashing it os2008 have not helped to correct problem.

still has noticed, that with a high probability the problem appears, when, at connection to pc, n800 speaks "Memory Card Is Used "

ps. sorry for my english

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dimass For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Take the card to a PC card reader and delete the swap file.

bun
As a variant, it is possible to insert a card into external slot ]

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
I foll owed bunanson's advice and all is now well. I also noticed a corrupted archive directory on the card. I wonder if I might have disconnected the usb cable from my pc before properly closing the connection in Windows.

Thanks to all
DF

I was having a similar problem to you (was using swap, SD card got corrupted, couldn't even reformat card). After reading some other peoples responses, I restarted the N800; after it started it said 'swap file corrupted, disabling swap'. I was then able to reformat the SD card.
For now, I am forgetting about enabling swap. And, truth be told, I think the N800 performs just as well or perhaps better than it ever did when I had swap on, even with several applications open. So maybe you are better off forgetting about swap for now----or at least trying it out for a little while.

The Following User Says Thank You to slip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ La Pêche, Québec, Canada
I had a similar problem with a 4GB internal SD Card. My problem was caused by not re-formatting partition 1 after re-partitioning the SD card so that I could boot from an SD card (partition 2 and partition 3).

My solution was to put the internal card in the external slot, backup as much material as I was able to (some files/folders were corrupted -- in particular the .swap), then ran mkdosfs on the first partition. There is a timing issue as the mkdosfs needs to run when the ITT has not mounted the SD card...

Robert B.