I've recently compiled some gpsd stuff that goes in the debian gpsd-clients package (but from a suitable gpsd version to work with osso-gpsd 1.0), and I wanted to package it up instead of distributing bare binaries. The trouble is, I didn't compile everything in the debian package; I didn't have the necessary headers for everything, which was ok, because all I really wanted was gpspipe.

Now I'm going to package it, but I'm not sure it's right to call the package gpsd-clients, to avoid dependency issues with packages from debian.

Any suggestions on what to do here? Call it something else, slap something in the version, or what? (I'd rather not mess with building the whole thing, but I suppose I could if that's really the one true way.)

Thanks!

Here's a file list of the Debian Lenny armel package; bold files are ones I have (I have the man pages too, of course, but was going to leave them out, since maemo eats all documentation anyway.):
Code:
/etc/X11/app-defaults/xgps
/etc/X11/app-defaults/xgpsspeed
/usr/bin/cgps
/usr/bin/cgpxlogger
/usr/bin/gpsctl
/usr/bin/gpsflash
/usr/bin/gpspipe
/usr/bin/gpxlogger
/usr/bin/rtcmdecode
/usr/bin/sirfmon
/usr/bin/xgps
/usr/bin/xgpsspeed
/usr/share/doc/gpsd-clients/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/gpsd-clients/copyright
/usr/share/man/man1/cgps.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/cgpxlogger.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/gpsctl.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/gpsflash.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/gpspipe.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/gpxlogger.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/rtcmdecode.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/sirfmon.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/xgps.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/xgpsspeed.1.gz
/usr/share/menu/gpsd-clients

Last edited by Benson; 2008-05-28 at 20:48. Reason: I have gpsflash, too; guess I missed it when I was zipping stuff.

Maybe call it -lite or something and make it conflict with the original just to be sure?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
What I would do is to keep the same name but lower the version number significantly from the debian version so when someone installs the full thing, it will get "upgraded" i.e your files removed and replaced and the other tools will be installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
The maemo packaging policy (draft) document might also be helpful:

https://maemo.org/forrest-images/pdf/maemo-policy.pdf

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
OK, it looks like leaving the man pages out is indeed the right thing. Leaving some clients out isn't necessarily; but I should be fine if I release it with a low version number and when I get around to it, build the others and repackage with a higher number...

I think all the dependencies are available, it's just a matter of installing all the -dev packages.

Unless someone sees something wrong with this in the next hour or so, I'm gonna be trying to package what I have as gpsd-clients, version 2.32maemo0 2.32-0. (Edit: I read horribly wrong; revision != version, and this is not built from a debian package (to match gpsd version with osso-gpsd))

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Benson; 2008-05-28 at 22:34.

Well, it took long enough... My BT GPS was down, and I wanted to test and make sure my final package worked, so I had to take a soldering iron to it.

But it's released. Check my thread over here, if you want it.