Hi everyone,
I recently bought a n800 and i've upgraded to os2008 and i love the little thing!
I'm using it mainly as a communication tool at uni (showing my designs to other people using the screen), as i'm studying architecture.
I was wondering if there is anychance of me having google sketchup/sketchup viewer or a cad viewer on the tablet? Could it be ported across? I'm aware that sketchup apparently works on linux, but i'm not really a programming person, so i'm not sure if its possible to transfer across?
If not, is their an application that'll read 3d pdf's? I've tried bringing in a 3d pdf to the pdf reader that is supplied, but it won't read the 3d parts of the document.
Any help appreciated
Thanks

anyone know of anything similar at all?

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Argentina
I don't know how well that would work, since it doesn't have 3d acceleration. Have you tried installing autocad 14 (or was it 12?) under DosBox?

I've wondered the same thing myself, as a professional in the field of architecture. But I honestly don't see a fully functional 3-d model viewer happening on this hardware. Perhaps something flash-based that could be accessed via microb?

2D cad viewer might be possible, but Autodesk seems to be getting more and more closed as their products progress. Exporting to PDF is still your best bet, as that's how we tend to share things in our workplace.

If you're using sketchup, your best bet would be to set up a slideshow with pre-determined views, and then export it to an AVI that the media player would read.

Hmmm.... I'll have to give that a try when I get to work on Monday

I'll post back with results.

Last edited by superbondbond; 2008-09-22 at 13:07.

You could try running Debian. There is a complete debian repository compiled for the ARM processor so maybe some lightweight 3d apps as well.

Update

I did a test exporting a slideshow from Sketchup to an AVI. The playback speed was off until I ran it through the video convertor, then it played fine.

i also tried using google's Sketchup Web Exporter, which creates a web page allowing you to spin your model around viewing all sides. It's somewhat limited in how you can view the model, but it's quick and it works as advertised. the hard part about viewing it on the tablet is struggling with tap+drag in the viewer. The tablet reads it as a tap+hold and you end up fighting with the context menu.

Anyway, i posted my test for others to see.
Sketchup viewer

Ok, thanks for that superbondbond, i'll look into it. I presume i'll need to set up a website for that at somepoint too.
I'm using pdf's for 2D at the mo, and if needed i'll do an AVI for sketchup, it's just a shame there couldn't be an offline lightweight version of the sketchup web exporter thing. It's more like a series of frames than a 3D model isn't it? So it wouldn't need 3D acceleration? (i'm not that familiar with programming and the like so i could be completely wrong!)
iamthewalrus - i'm a complete noob to debian, is it another version of linux?

Originally Posted by diablojen View Post
Ok, thanks for that superbondbond, i'll look into it. I presume i'll need to set up a website for that at somepoint too.
I'm using pdf's for 2D at the mo, and if needed i'll do an AVI for sketchup, it's just a shame there couldn't be an offline lightweight version of the sketchup web exporter thing. It's more like a series of frames than a 3D model isn't it? So it wouldn't need 3D acceleration? (i'm not that familiar with programming and the like so i could be completely wrong!)
iamthewalrus - i'm a complete noob to debian, is it another version of linux?
It's just another linux distribution, like Maemo or Ubuntu.See the ITT wiki and the debian sections on this forum. I don't kow if the type of application that you are looking for are available though (or usable on a small screen) but the chances are bigger than for Maemo.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-09-27 at 12:32.