Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
UI looks like they took some time to think about the interactions. I'm not as happy about the 2/3 screen utilization aspect, but definitely like the ways they have implemented touch and drag options.

The use of the accelerometer for scrolling webpages is smart, I do that on my N95 now and it defintely makes reading some sites a lot better. I'd like to see that extended a bit throughout the other apps (picture viewer, etc.).

Overall, looks like a nice update to the N810, defintiely a bit more consumer friendly with the software polish. Battery life is indeed a concern, but if they built it with 3-4hrs of battery life, then it could be a solid travel companion.

Nice competitor.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
... if they built it with 3-4hrs of battery life
If Marketing says I'll get 3-4 hrs, I count myself lucky if I really get 2-3 hrs, then after a year the battery will be weaker and I'll get 1-2 hrs. Not good enough.

Roger.

in the past I owned a N800 brought by a friend from NY for 200 euro, and after using the device a couple of months i ended up selling it for 2 reasons, one was the fact that the n810 launched and i was drooling after the physical keyboard and smaller form factor and the other reason was connectivity, when i am at home i can work on my desktop or my laptop and what i wanted was a internet ready device to carry with me 90% of my time, the lack of 3G built in the n800/n910 is what kills them in my opinion, most of the time i found a have some free time when i am doing stuff in the city to browse the net and there is no hotspot around , what do you do then, also what good is the GPS (i mean for his primary function - navigation) if google maps requires a internet connection, no hotspot when you are driving

this is why i called a friend in Italy and i asked him to buy the Benq S6 and send it to me, it should arrive Tuesday, the price now is 300 euros + 20 euro for transport.

what sold me on the S6 was the built in 3G ( i have an unlimited vodafone data sim) and the fast intel atom because i use google reader a lot and that is ajax

all around i like more the n800/n810 in terms of aspect and features but lack of 3G kills it for me and this Benq is a good compromise until the n900 will hit the market

also I will add that i used a HTC advantage for the past month and aldo the battery life was the best i saw in any device until this day, the functionality and slowness of windows mobile is killing the excellent product... shame microsoft

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
this is why i called a friend in Italy and i asked him to buy the Benq S6 and send it to me, it should arrive Tuesday,
Good luck with your purchase, I hope it pleases you.

If you have the chance to post back with your impressions and evaluations I, for one, would like to hear them.

hey guys, i got the tablet, unfortunately I am at a cabin in the mountains and I cant do videos and stuff and play with it to much as 3G reception is very poor here, but as initial thoughts can tell you the tablet runs great, u can plug in a keyboard and mouse right out of the box and run with that, the battery life is not very good but i will test more when i get home, definetly HSDPA built in is the key sales factor as the tablet is much more bulkier then the N800

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
unfortunately I am at a cabin in the mountains
A pretty cool way to spend Christmas if you ask me.

Look forward to a detailed update.