Active Topics

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Hey, I have had an N800 since last Christmas and I am finally getting around to getting a keyboard. I found one on ebay and put a small bid on it and lo and behold I won. Anyways, have any of you heard about this particular keyboard?

picture:

The Elektex fabric keyboard. Anybody?

Looks nice, but it doesn't seem to use the HID protocol from what I could figure out from a little search. I'm not even certain it uses a kind of well-known serial protocol either, the specs are only referring to the drivers they provide for a number of Symbian and Windows phones, plus RIM and XP.
Edit: And Palm.
Maybe it'll be possible to use it with fanoush' serial driver.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2008-11-12 at 10:52.

It just came in the mail today and the n800 is only recognizing it as a phone. What is "fanoush' serial driver"?

OK I found out what the driver is, and I have tried to use it but the keyboard has a password and when I try and access the keyboard in xterm it just keeps saying "Permission denied". Any help?

Is there anyone who has gotten this keyboard to work?

WHAT?!?! I feel a little dumber now.

How are you trying to access the keyboard?

The keyboard "password" is probably the pairing/pincode when you added the device in the bluetooth manager. It might say phone, but the type isn't always right.

What exactly do you have installed, and what exactly are you typing. Most of the people who might help aren't psychic.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Maybe it'll be possible to use it with fanoush' serial driver.
Maybe not. Who knows :-) From my basic search it looks like the keyboard needs to be 'calibrated' otherwise it may print different characters. Also it is pressure sensitive. From that I guess that keyboard may send just coordinates (and pressure?) of your press and mapping to specific key is done in the driver. kbdd definitely doesn't handle such device now.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

thanks for all the input so far, I think I might just find a new keyboard.