Active Topics

Originally Posted by fattomm View Post
Fennec is more like the big-fat-pig for mobile. Seriously, look at the size of that .... Yeesh .... On my 4GB RAM + 1TB desktop, I don't really care (I even run KDE!) - but on a RAM-challenged NIT?

When will we see Minefield in the application manager? I'm with Volt ("anything that requires compiling or buiding smells too much like my work hours"), and I'm avoiding the red-pill-flash-boot-deblet-hokey-pokey (I got done being impressed with me compiling my own kernels in 1988, 1992, and again in 1998). I'm glad people can do it -- but I'm "stick a fork in me and call me done" with spending my precious sleep hours recovering botched upgrades.
I agree -- Mozilla's Fennec needs to CUT THE PORK. It is way too much of a memory hog and it has no menu or way to change options other than the about:config (which is difficult to work with, especially on Mobile platforms.

Originally Posted by Cyker View Post
Oh how I miss the heady days of HTML3!!
I am looking forward to HTML5, if they only had thought of that earlier, instead of XHTML1.0. :B

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
xml was seen as a cure-all...

I am revisiting this thread because I find it a useful thread and I would like to keep it somewhat current. It's been half a year and I have the most recent version of Tear installed. I also have some other browsers installed now, but Tear and MicroB are the only ones I bother to start up.

For browsing with more than a couple of windows, Tear seems indeed much more able to handle it. It has other unstabilities, but as it is, I have to say Tear is a viable alternative to MicroB.

Last edited by volt; 2009-07-02 at 18:50. Reason: grammar

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
to bad that nokia never made allowances for a third party browser to take over the myriad jobs of the built in one (dbus calls and all that)...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I use Tear when possible, too, but it is a pain when another app opens a link in the default browser, because then I have two browsers open...