Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
For a Qstarz Q1000P track logging (*within* the) GPS (and many other similar other Bluetooth GPS devices) there is an open source application called MTK / BT747 for Java.
Of course there is no Java on the N8x0, but has anyone made an attempt to port this to C++ / python for the N810 ?
It can be very useful.

Now I use a Nokia phone with MTK MIDP on it from which I download the logs from the GPS, convert them to GPX (also on the phone) and then send the GPX via Bluetooth to the N810 and then it can be loaded and visualized into Maemo mapper.

http://bt747.wiki.sourceforge.net/

I have used the mtkbabel perl program to load tracks from GPS logger in n810. Unfortunately Maemo Mapper did not read the GPX files it created when I briefly tried it. I guess it should be not too hard make them work together.

Any idea if BT747 would work with easy debian? It has java.

For what it's worth, I did get BT747 to run in easy debian. It does take several minutes to start! I haven't timed it but it's a while. My bluetooth GPS arrives tomorrow so I will be able to see if it will download logs (I'm getting a datalogger). I'll post my results.

Originally Posted by sconf View Post
I have used the mtkbabel perl program to load tracks from GPS logger in n810. Unfortunately Maemo Mapper did not read the GPX files it created when I briefly tried it. I guess it should be not too hard make them work together.
According to the README with mtkbabel, there's a known bug in the conversion of floating point numbers (64 bit doubles and 32 bit
floats) from MTK binary format to GPX text. The author states that the perl unpack() function works properly on the GNU/Linux i386 architecture, but fails on his
Arm box, (with an XScale processor). The Nokia tablets use ARM processors as well.

The author suggests that the function mtk2number() should be rewritten using some math library or in pure Perl.

In addition, the mtkbabel program depends on the perl modules "File::Basename", "Device::SerialPort", and "Date::Format", which are not part of the standard Diablo perl package.

The Following User Says Thank You to z2n For This Useful Post:
I coverted the mtkBabekl Perl code into Python before I left on my 2 month trip a year and a half ago. A pickpocketed 770 and gps logging failure but now 16 months of travel later I've had my brother dig up the most recent backup he could find. It's almost back to what I was using on the 770. Mail me if you want it. I'll get around to posting it up myself soon here as a project?. Note that I'm still travelling (Bulgaria at the moment...started in China ) but will try to do my best... off to catch my millionth bus now!

I'll attach it soon.. it's not quite what I had working before...

In case somebody is still interested in getting gps tracks from bt747 logger to n900, mtkbabel can be used. At least Mappero and Osm2go in n900 can read GPX files produced by mtkbabel.

Procedure to get mtkbabel working includes installing libdevice-serialport-perl from deb, which I made in scratchbox for n8x0 some time ago.

If you need mtkbabel working and you are accustomed with apt-get and dpkg at command line, let me know and I'll provide the steps that worked for me.

And if somebody has other working solutions for reading the logger (the python version of mtkbabel?), please let me know.

The Following User Says Thank You to sconf For This Useful Post: