I'm having some serious device memory issues with my tablet. I have been getting several errors warning me my device memory is too low. I went to application manager and deleted any unnecessary apps, then went to File Manager and deleted all unnecessary files. There are now close to zero files on the device memory and only essential applications.

In Control Panel>Memory, I am told that there is only .92 MB available. In Storage Details, I am told that the total size is 249.5 MB and that 245.9 MB are in use, leaving 3.55MB available. Under Data, there are only a few kB of files and 41.2 MB of Installed Apps.

Is this normal? Does the operating system really take up 80% of the device memory? Also, it seems that after a reboot, there is less and less memory available. Are there some temporary files that just aren't getting deleted? I have Virtual Memory enabled on the internal card at 128 MB, but it doesn't seem to help. I've considered just reflashing, but does anyone have a simpler solution?

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I had the same problem a few days ago. After uninstalling some apps and then rebooting, I gained some memory back. But I ended up opting to just reflash and I gained a lot more storage space. I also cut back on some previously installed applications that I never used, which helped gain more space.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by apajusi View Post
Is this normal? Does the operating system really take up 80% of the device memory?
No, it is not normal.

Also, it seems that after a reboot, there is less and less memory available. Are there some temporary files that just aren't getting deleted?
Could be some application you installed creating log file or downloading data from internet (like maps in maemo-mapper).

I've considered just reflashing, but does anyone have a simpler solution?
You need to use some file manager or run x-term and find where the space is going. You may need to be root for some system folder. Then try something like

# du -sk /var /lib /etc /usr

Numbers are in kilobytes. If something looks big (like /var or /usr) go inside

du -sk /var/*
du -sk /usr/*

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

I reflashed the tablet with Nokia's wizard. Memory seems to be normal (about 120 MB free on the device) at the start, but then I restored a backup that was 96 MB, which seems to be the root of my problem. I have two backups: one that has all the settings (96 MB) and one without settings (1 MB). What settings are they talking about, exactly? Is there a way to selectively delete unnecessary log files and such?

The Following User Says Thank You to apajusi For This Useful Post:
Well, I realized that the problem wasn't actually a problem– just insufficient device memory for my needs. I cloned the OS to the Internal Memory to give me a few hundred MBs. That should hold me over. I just wonder what Nokia was thinking...

Tags
memory