Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2008 @ Bulgaria - Sofia/Plovdiv
Hi, I've been using GMail Offline for the past month and it'd be the greatest thing to run on the tablet.

As far as I know the problem so far is that GGears isn't working as it should be with MicroB.

So what is the chance that GGears and Gmail Offline would work with an alternative browser in an alternative OS on the tablet?

More and more people are developing and using ubuntu on the tablet, so this could be real killer app for even more people to join.

Yes, it would be! I believe you're talking about Google Gears technology. If you search this forum, you'll find many threads, but little good news. Here is the closest anyone's gotten AFAIK;
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=17174
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=10112

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2008 @ Bulgaria - Sofia/Plovdiv
buurmas, thank you for the links. There are a few more threads about google gears, microB and maemo not working together

However, the reason I put this thread here is to see if the problem is in gears for maemo, gears for linux running on arm processors, gears running on linux, gears working with microB or something else

Have somebody tried google gears + firefox + ubuntu on n8x0? Is there a chance that it would work (better than microb+maemo)?

I've also wondered if gears would install on firefox running on ubuntu on the n8x0. Could anyone who has ubuntu installed test gears and let us know?

Originally Posted by n3x View Post
However, the reason I put this thread here is to see if the problem is in gears for maemo, gears for linux running on arm processors, gears running on linux, gears working with microB or something else
My bad. Good question.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
If I remember, tonight I'll try Google Gears in Firefox on an Ubuntu (8.10) laptop. That is, unless somebody already has and knows how it works.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
i have tried to install GGears from google website with FF 3 on Mer. No luck. it's always the same error. Maybe google onlyh supports x86 FF addons...

I just went to gears.google.com using IceWeasel (Debian's Firefox) in qole's Turbo Easy Debian. Strangely, it said my browser was not currently supported -- a bad sign considering they do say they support Gears for Firefox 1.5+ on Linux in general. Even microB gives me a fat "Install Gears" button (not that anything good comes of it...). I'm not eager to try User Agent spoofing. So I appear to be stuck.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Yes, now i am sure of it. The "Install Gears" button in Googles Website installs GGears for firefox x86, so it will not run on arm.

Arora should automatically load FF plugins, right? How about Konqeror?

That's a shame, Gears would add so much to this tablet.

Tags
google gears, ubuntu