Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I despise deadkeys, I can find no possible use for them. That's always the first thing I configure away when I start with a new computer.
See, for me it is exactly the other way around. I hate keyboard configs without dead keys.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
To enter tilda, press '~' on the symbol dialog and press the SPACE key. This goes for all characters on the 3rd row. There is a bug/enhancement-request tracking this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Berlin
Just in case that someone still cares.

You can put the tilde anywhere on your keyboard.

Just edit your keyboard file rx-51. Here is an example for a German keyboard:
Code:
sudo gainroot
cp /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51\
 /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51.original
vi /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51
key <AC09> { [l,L,colon,asciitilde] };
exit
setxkbmap de
I have put the asciitilde on the key "L". When I press Shift + Functionkey + L, then I get the tilde on the screen without pressing space.

The circumflex is asciicircum.

Further reading:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Remapping_keyboard

The Following User Says Thank You to TorstenT For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
As per above wiki page, I have way more keys that the normal hkb has mapped to my device. As for dead keys, I love them.

P.S. You don't have to press space bar after the dead key to get the dead key by itself. You can just press the dead key twice. In practice, if you're comfortable with your key's positions, dead keys don't really slow you typing down, I'd argue, anymore than following capitalization rules or punctuation rules does.

P.S.S. I just started fiddling with this last week, but on the subject of hwk remap, you can have more than one key map, and rotate between them. (Kinda like the 8-level keymaps toggle on Ctrl+Space, but this is less buggy [8-level keymaps seem to effectively only be 6-level, as levels 7 & 8, at least for me, just default to levels 3 & 4]... on second thought I might understand why it did that for me, but I'm too lazy to test now, and don't understand xkb enough to change it if I did.) And you can have more than two layouts with this method, thus more than 8 levels. But it has to be done by a script on startup every time, or manually, as the UI set settings are used on boot.

Originally Posted by TorstenT View Post
Code:
cp /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51\
 /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51.original
You should however make a copy first in case something goes wrong, but do not place the copy in the nokia_vndr folder or it will stop your phone from booting.

( from http://wiki.maemo.org/Remapping_keyboard )

Last edited by Char; 2011-03-05 at 19:16.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Is it possible to add F11 key to some ctrl+shift+key like that? I have swiss keyboard which is similar to german.