Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by damion View Post
Will early adopters be allowed to swap handsets with ones with usable 0.3MP front cams if it's not firmware?
I seriously doubt it. They'll give us a "you knew it was a risk as an early adopter" or some crap like that. Though we bought it as a "released product".

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ North Carolina
lol I got the app thinking it was going to be crystal clear...wtf...I knew it was only 0.3mp lol so luckly I wasn't too disappointed. A lot of light does help though. Now I just clean the screen and turn off the backlighting

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
lol I got the app thinking it was going to be crystal clear...wtf...I knew it was only 0.3mp lol so luckly I wasn't too disappointed. A lot of light does help though. Now I just clean the screen and turn off the backlighting
You must have some different h/ware as it was appalling quality, light wasn't going to help enough. I'm using the past tense as the PR1.1 made a massive difference and they made the IM client support video! I can't believe it. gtalk video!

The Following User Says Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
You must have some different h/ware as it was appalling quality, light wasn't going to help enough. I'm using the past tense as the PR1.1 made a massive difference and they made the IM client support video! I can't believe it. gtalk video!
Can you post a video showing us you actually using, a gtalk video? I remember a guy by the name of Thoughtfix aka Dan who did a pretty cool video, with the n800 a few years back..

Sure. If my parents don't get round to installing the gtalk video plugin this w/end it'll be via colleagues at work.

Oh also I should comment that although gtalk video seemed okay and I was sure the mirror seemed okay (I think via mplayer tv:// stuff), the mirror app looked quite bad in the evening. I used my n97 and yes low light caused grainyness but the n900 was clearly more yellow with wrong contrast/white balance/hue. It was pink and nice with a bit less noise on the n97. I think the n900's cam was unusably awful before fw1.1 though.

I then tried switching /dev/video0 and 1 just by mv'ing the special device files and seeing if camera would work (no), or mirror (yes). The view with mirror using the 5MP cam was interestingly poor and yellow compared to the camera. I suspect with v4l-tools / dov4l the problems could be mostly solved.

Last edited by damion; 2010-01-17 at 00:49. Reason: poor english

Sure. If my parents don't get round to installing the gtalk video plugin this w/end it'll be via colleagues at work.
My parents called me and I filmed this on a colleagues Nexus 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0N26VeQ68

The image from my side looks good, so I really suspect the FW1.1 fixed the driver and that various ioctls against the video device are able to fix up the colour/contrast issues that you see with the python mirror app.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Note that when you downscale you can get a (more) decent image. The local video seems ~200-ish pixels wide (maybe just 160x120 ?), which makes noise disappear, but is pretty useless from an aspect of a mirror (I tried ).