Active Topics

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
So I think I figured it out. My sync works up until the moment, where I merge my contacts with my IM-contacts. I tried it with msn-haze and msn-pecan, same result. The sync takes a couple seconds to finish, every time I sync. Once I merged, the sync takes forever and then times out with the well known "check your server details" etc etc.

So merging contacts seems to be the culprit. Respectively merging contacts seems to trigger something harmful to the sync process. Once you do a full resync and do not merge, the sync will continue at least it did for the last couple hours for me.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
So I think I figured it out. My sync works up until the moment, where I merge my contacts with my IM-contacts. I tried it with msn-haze and msn-pecan, same result. The sync takes a couple seconds to finish, every time I sync. Once I merged, the sync takes forever and then times out with the well known "check your server details" etc etc.

So merging contacts seems to be the culprit. Respectively merging contacts seems to trigger something harmful to the sync process. Once you do a full resync and do not merge, the sync will continue at least it did for the last couple hours for me.
Has anyone raised this as a bug ?

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
I am using Neuvasync to sync up to google as I also had issues with m.google.com and I have merged contacts with skype, jabber, facebook, yahoo and MSN Haze all setup in them and my contacts are syncing perfectly.

With google I found that the sync worked well the first few times but then after a while it just stopped working, I tried neuvasync (3rd party free google sync) it has been working perfectly ever since I set it up with no issues at all.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
Surely there is a significant percentage of N900 users with gmail accounts who'd like proper syncing and/or N900 and Mac users. What gives? Why can't this be addressed?
This has been discussed a few times in the main MfE thread and boils down to Google using their own varient of the ActiveSync protocol. Unlike Microsoft, from whom Nokia was able to license specs, Google doesn't appear to offer information on their ActiveSync dialect.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-02-22 at 14:16. Reason: typo correction

I didnt search the bug trackers before posting here nor did I file a bug myself.
I discovered this behavior last night and was able to reproduce the break of sync by merging my phonebook with my IM (msn-pecan) contacts repeatedly. Currently I dont have anything merged and I'd like to observe how the sync behaves without me merging before I file a bug. If it will do well for the next couple days and breaks again once I merge, I can file it as a bug.
But maybe other users can reproduce my findings in the meantime while I wait for my unmerged sync to break again ;-)

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, ON
Not sure if this is related, but I've had trouble with my exchange sync setup too. I'm just syncing the calendar, and for the first week or so in January it was working fine. Now, it won't sync (even if I try manually), and I get that "exchange server not responding" error.

But, if I do a full resync, it works... kinda. The full resync works, up until the very last point when the sync progress bar is *almost* full, and then it hangs. If I cancel it there, I'll have an updated calendar. But normal syncing still fails to work at all (even though it was fine originally), so this full resync and cancel after it hangs is the only thing that works.

Thoughts?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
I'm sometimes wondering what you expect. Nobody ever announced Google support for PR1.1. Things don't get magically fixed...

See https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6343 (please do not add "me too" comments), please vote for http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...nchronization/ if interested...

hey Andre, nice seeing you eyeing around in the forums. You sound a little bit annoyed though :-( Come on, don't despair, you guys are doing a great job! Thanks for the brainstorming link, I voted in there. I find the separate app a good idea, reminds me of the setup I had with Android: the "Exchange" account stays free for a business account to be configured and the GSync (or whatever you'd like to call it) can be used to sync to my personal calendar. So I can have business and private live nicely separated but both kept in sync. Anyway...

@all didnt have to file a bug, bug has already been filed quite some time ago by other members. Obviously it's not bound to MfE-Google, happens with MfE-Exchange 2003 as well and Exchange 2003 should be mostly supported, I thought.

@balleyne If I were you I'd clean out my device and freshly start over. Try this to get around a reflash: delete the MfE configuration and delete the calendar MfE syncs into as well and then reconfigure MfE. In case you dont know where to fiddle around to get this done:
In Settings chose MfE, hit the Settings button and then hit the Delete button. This will remove the MfE account, hope you still have your login details ;-) As for the calendar, before you re-setup MfE, remove the calendar MfE synced into. Open Calendar, get the menu, chose Settings, then chose Edit calendars (1/2/3/x visible) where you will be presented with a list of all calendars on your N900. If you synced into the default N900 one, tap it, chose Delete which will throw security questions at you. Answer then to get the calendar purged since it cannot be fully deleted. If you created a separate calendar and did not sync into the N900 default one, delete that one. It will be marked with "synchronized". This as well will throw security warning at you, answer accordingly to get the calendar removed. Once done, recreate the MfE account. Now, in the final step before the initial synchronisation, set the calendar sync to create a new calendar and not to sync into the N900 default calendar. There is a button in the calendar sync details which lets you change the calendar and/or let the sync create a new one.
Hopefully this will sort things out or at least keep you up to date without any worries for a couple days and/or weeks ;-)

Last edited by schaggo; 2010-02-22 at 15:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, ON
@balleyne If I were you I'd clean out my device and freshly start over [...] If you synced into the default N900 one, tap it, chose Delete which will throw security questions at you. Answer then to get the calendar purged since it cannot be fully deleted. If you created a separate calendar and did not sync into the N900 default one, delete that one. It will be marked with "synchronized". This as well will throw security warning at you, answer accordingly to get the calendar removed. Once done, recreate the MfE account. Now, in the final step before the initial synchronisation, set the calendar sync to create a new calendar and not to sync into the N900 default calendar. There is a button in the calendar sync details which lets you change the calendar and/or let the sync create a new one.
Hopefully this will sort things out or at least keep you up to date without any worries for a couple days and/or weeks ;-)
Thanks for the advice! Turns out I was able to fix things without totally cleaning it out. When I looked at the calendar sync settings, I noticed the N900 calendar said "synchronized to PC," which doesn't make any sense (all I've done is connect as a mass storage device to my Ubuntu laptop with Bluetooth), but I created a new calendar and set the exchange sync to use that one, and voila—working again!

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to balleyne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
hey Andre, nice seeing you eyeing around in the forums. You sound a little bit annoyed though :-( Come on, don't despair, you guys are doing a great job! Thanks for the brainstorming link, I voted in there.
Heh, probably a bit overworked, as always in the last months which have been an avalanche...
Thanks for voting. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post: