Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by ahynes1 View Post
Personally, I'd be very interested in such codec, especially if I could play with them with gstreamer.
i like to say it again (and again... and again...):
the display resolution is only 800 * 480 pixels.
so higher resolutions won't bring any advantages - on the contrary: it will only suck your battery even faster. ^^

I'd also be very interested if I could send HD out the video port.
video port is only PAL / NTSC. with the specific resolutions.

The Following User Says Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Seriously we want HD recording. I don't care about the screen resolution. I care about the output video resolution. We need this.

pls help me.......

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if the N900 will ever support 720i HD video? The screen is well better than Samsung Omnia HD resolution by far. And yet the same hardware in term of graphic and CPU.

This should be possible to play without a problem, If the Omnia can why can't N900?

I really hope the Video recording has better functionality just like the Omnia HD. Time laps, slow mo and as for the photo camera, smile detection and all this candy bonus would be very blessing.

Don't you guy ever think this would be the great idea for N900?

yes you can play high quality HD MKV VIDEOS.....after a some efford i found the maximum quality that u can play in your n900(quality was amazing to me)....here are the steps

1) install the extra codecs for the media player ...u will find this in file manager ...install it first

2)download the converter called "Any DVD Converter Professional" or if u have this then fine you can start

3)if you have any 720p or 1080p MKV high quality videos ...then use one the video to start to convert ...

4)in Any DVD Converter Professional first click on the "Add video" icon and add your highest quality MKV video...then in right side under the output profile ....there is a dropdown button sellect "video files" and also there is an another drop down button beside of that from there you have to sellect "Matroska Movie(*.mkv)"

then look right side down....there are some options to set
in video options sellect video options as"mpeg4" frame size as"800*480"(if its not available type it manually)...video bitrate as(4000)if u increase more than 4000 picture quality will get increased more and more....video frame rate as 30

in audio options select audio codec as "Mp3"(pls dont select any other it wont wok)....audio bitrate as 320....and sample rate as 48000

finally inorder to make your video full screen there is one more setting....go to edit->options->video under "Video Resize" make sure to tick Fit to height and Expand to Frame size boxes...

thats all u need to do just convert and enjoy the Tru HD in your n900.....remember here you r playing the mkv format not the mp4 bcos n900 is capable of playing MKV by doing thsese conversion..

i hope this will help the guys whoever have N900 and desire to play eye catching HD vido playback

Last edited by ketheeskanth; 2010-12-09 at 09:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ketheeskanth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Karachi
Originally Posted by b666m View Post
to be honest... video performance (right now) sucks very hard.
i don't need HD-playback because the screen resolution isn't even HD (800 * 480) as mentioned few times before.

but what's driving me crazy is the fact that i have got many .avi and .x264/.h264 videos created as a compromise between resolution, bitrate and of course filesize.
so mostly they have around 700 * 350 px and between 1200 and 2000 kbps on video-side and around 300 kpbs 5.1 ac3 on audio-side.
Hey is that using the baseline profile? The N900 can only handle the baseline "low-level" profiles...and most of the encoding gurus who deliver our hd content via a certain swedish portal use high-level profiles. Which, honestly, is the whole point of .264: lower bitrate, higher quality, screw the battery...

i find it easier to just re-encode my hd stuff in 800x4xx / mp4 / QF=2. Works out quite well, at pretty much the same bitrates you've mentioned up there, no complexity involved...

Originally Posted by quingu View Post
720p video works flawlessly on the pandora (same hardware) so I don't see why the N900 wouldn't be able to playback 720p files...

I'll look into that next week.
It does? any links? What are they using, mplayer? VLC?

I was under the impression they were on the same level as we are.

That said, I've never had any problems with watching movies, I've got mostly high compressed h264 or 640x480 avi's. For my more difficult codecs (some anime and odd re-encodes) I can overclock to 950MHz and never see studder.

I can appreciate the convenience of not having to re-encode from HD formats, but its worth it to avoid even the occassional studder and battery issues of more demanding videos.

Has everyone here tried kmplayer or SiB for their videos? Fantastic GUI frontends for mplayer.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by ketheeskanth View Post
yes you can play high quality HD MKV VIDEOS.....after a some efford i found the maximum quality that u can play in your n900(quality was amazing to me)....here are the steps ...
After all the downsampling, resizing and transcoding it would be a stretch to call the result "HD" video.

Read this
http://wiki.maemo.org/Video_encoding#Introduction

And use HandBrake with the provided preset-file to transcode videos to N900.

Someone suggested using mplayer. mplayer does not have hardware accelerated decodecs, so it is not as optimizied as the default media player which has DSP-optimized gstreamer-plugins for some codecs and for some (baseline) settings.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Video_encoding...on_Codec_Usage

Last edited by zimon; 2010-12-09 at 15:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post: