Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Hi Guys,

Sorry if any elements of this post is gonna sound duplicated but need some advice and would appreciate some help

My Usb port on my N900 broke this evening, the charger wire got caught in my foot

I don't know much when it comes to anything techincal, but i was hoping that if i purchased a MicroSD 16GB card and opened the back-up application on my phone, then i would be able to back-up all my files/music/images/applications.

I don't think Nokia customer care are likely to repair the usb port (just a gut feeling) although the part is still attached to the end of my charger

So i was hoping that if they gave me a new N900 (covered in warranty and have insurance with Vodafone) then i could stick my memory card in the phone and run the back-up application to restore the files/music/images/applications etc? Would i be correct in doing this?

Also has anyone accidently broke their usb port and actually got it repaired by Nokia?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Backup doesn't back up media, but you can always manually move them from internal memory to memroy card using File manager, then do a backup to memory card to get "everything".

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by tuminoid View Post
Backup doesn't back up media, but you can always manually move them from internal memory to memroy card using File manager, then do a backup to memory card to get "everything".
Will it back up my applications though? I suppose i'm more bothered about that...

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nathaneous View Post
Will it back up my applications though? I suppose i'm more bothered about that...
Backup saves list of applications, but not actual files. When you restore it reinstalls apps on that list from the repositories. Some settings in those apps are typically lost if eMMC is flashed or backup file moved to another device, since app developers have not added their data files to be backed up. Its the apps fault for just saving to eMMC, not a fault in backup app.

So just get your media to memory card, take backup and you're good to go.

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Ouch. Sorry this happened, and I'm keeping my n900 on my desk whenever I'm charging it.

Exactly same thing happen to mine 2 weeks after purchase. usb charger s a big flaw and very fragile as well as having it on the wrong end of the phone. u must be careful with it in the future. i didnt back my files or anything, so had to start from scratch. my insurance replaced it by sending a new one which took about 2 weeks. a tough 2 weeks i must say.
good luck using ur old phone in the time being

ak47

Originally Posted by nathaneous View Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry if any elements of this post is gonna sound duplicated but need some advice and would appreciate some help

My Usb port on my N900 broke this evening, the charger wire got caught in my foot

I don't know much when it comes to anything techincal, but i was hoping that if i purchased a MicroSD 16GB card and opened the back-up application on my phone, then i would be able to back-up all my files/music/images/applications.

I don't think Nokia customer care are likely to repair the usb port (just a gut feeling) although the part is still attached to the end of my charger

So i was hoping that if they gave me a new N900 (covered in warranty and have insurance with Vodafone) then i could stick my memory card in the phone and run the back-up application to restore the files/music/images/applications etc? Would i be correct in doing this?

Also has anyone accidently broke their usb port and actually got it repaired by Nokia?

Thanks in advance for any advice