Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
Also right now a device like that N900 is technically seen way better then a iPad, especially when it comes to "surfing" and that should be the strongest part of the iPad?
My warning to iPad owners: "If it could fit in your pocket, we wouldn't mock it."

...well, maybe we would, but not with such fervor.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I think the form factor is great, so would probably wait for an HP Slate and put Meego onto it.

As much as I like my n900, I think the form factor of netbooks are still too traditional for using in the lounge, reading eBooks or whatever.

Regardless, the N900 has it's place, and won't lose it.

What Apple has done since the iPod is take something that's already there, but when they giveth, they taketh away!

However, they aren't catching the competition unawares with the Tablet form factor and only with the N900 was I able to find something good enough to replace the iPhone 2G (even the 3G and 3GS weren't good enough successors).

My main specs for a tablet would be:

-Meego/Moblin OS
-1-1.6GHz processor
-1GB-2GB RAM
-16-32GB SSD
-MicroSD expansion
-10" Screen
-Wireless G and N

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
I don`t want to carry a manpurse around for my gadgets....even my Wibrain and Everun UMPCs are now hidden away in my drawer cause its too much of a hassle to carry them around....that is why I got a N900.Portable, fast, and has flash support for excellent browsing.....now, tell me a reason why I need an Ipad?....I have my Asus 901 and that is hidden in the drawer as well!.....I could do almost everything on my N900 and that`s why it is the device of my choice when I travel.

I've always wondered...why do apple do this anyway?
why do they excessively limit they're devices capabilities? there are reasons sometimes like for example, the price factor, if they produce a cheap device, then naturally that device's abilities are lesser than more expensive devices...(generally speaking).
but I do believe that the iPhone is pretty expensive and yet does not preform very simple actions that would be expected to be there like multitasking; if their first mobile received such criticism then I expect the second to include desired/expected features but that didn't, even after their fourth device (3gs), don't they believe that they will profit more if they just did their best to include simple but needed features?

Originally Posted by steev182 View Post
I think the form factor is great, so would probably wait for an HP Slate and put Meego onto it.

As much as I like my n900, I think the form factor of netbooks are still too traditional for using in the lounge, reading eBooks or whatever.

Regardless, the N900 has it's place, and won't lose it.

What Apple has done since the iPod is take something that's already there, but when they giveth, they taketh away!

However, they aren't catching the competition unawares with the Tablet form factor and only with the N900 was I able to find something good enough to replace the iPhone 2G (even the 3G and 3GS weren't good enough successors).

My main specs for a tablet would be:

-Meego/Moblin OS
-1-1.6GHz processor
-1GB-2GB RAM
-16-32GB SSD
-MicroSD expansion
-10" Screen
-Wireless G and N
some friends of mine say the form of the ipad isnt so great. not so fun when reading or typing for along time. not easy to position it to type on . haev to get used to it i guess

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Real nice comic Rsss :P

I've always wondered...why do apple do this anyway?
To get even more money sources? They have success with it as you see yourself. I guess they are using 100$ notes as toilet paper while they laugh how people blaspheme about the iPad.

Dumb and simple devices for dumb and simple people, that seems to be the key to success on this planet.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Fanny pack!

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
I hate the ipad...I prefer my N900.
been playing with my friend's ipad in the last couple of days....no impressed.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
some friends of mine say the form of the ipad isnt so great. not so fun when reading or typing for along time. not easy to position it to type on . haev to get used to it i guess
I agree, the iPhone's virtual keyboard was great, but that was down to the multitouch and ability to use your thumbs (as part of the 'Playstation generation' I'm quick with my thumbs) when they are so close together and able to get to whatever key you need. The iPad does look too big to type with your thumbs, however, typically on my netbook, the most I type are posts on sites like this!

I don't buy newspapers (mainly because I don't like the editorial slant on it, and don't want to buy the Sun for page 3, can see boobies for free...), I occasionally buy magazines like Wired or Evo.

Just watching Steve Jobs talk about iPhoneOS 4's multitasking. It looks ok, but I don't want to have to transcode avi to mp4...