Notices

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I've finally got around to writing my first application for Maemo

This is a standalone viewer for LibraryThing catalogues. These can be either separately-downloaded files (e.g. existing backup exports) or it can connect and download your current catalogue.

The main view is just a grid view onto the data:

You can select which columns are displayed, what order they're shown in, and what sort order to use for the list (including sorting by non-displayed fields). Use the up/down arrows to order the active fields, and either the left/right arrows, or double-tapping to move fields between available and active:

You can also re-order the columns at any time by dragging around the column headers. Double tapping on a column header will resize it to fit the currently displayed data, and you can also drag the right-hand edge of a column header to resize it.

Finally, a double-tap on a book will pop up more details, as well as a link through to the full book info on the LibraryThing site:

The application is written in python, using PySide bindings for Qt - hopefully I've got the dependencies correct. Any suggestions for improvements/changes welcome. Current plans are:
  • Fix the bugtracker link
  • Fix the header overlaps in the column selection boxes
  • Add search/filtering options
  • Add online LibraryThing search
  • Allow adding new books to your catalogue

It's gone through the autobuilder, so should be in extras-devel now, or very soon.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Looks good. I don't like the word "pybrary" though!

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
i do better than librathon....
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Looks good. I don't like the word "pybrary" though!
Yeah, I'm not good with names (though I have managed to invert a whole new word ). If anyone has any better ideas, let me know - otherwise I may just change the display name to "LibraryThing Viewer" (which is what the main app window shows anyway).

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
"LibraryThing Viewer" seems OK to me, and will be easier for people to search for. Of course that assumes that LibraryThing don't mind you using their name.

Is it possible to make an editor?

Last edited by pelago; 2010-04-22 at 15:31.

"LibraryThing Viewer" seems OK to me, and will be easier for people to search for. Of course that assumes that LibraryThing don't mind you using their name.
Yes, I need to check with them about name & logo, etc.

Is it possible to make an editor?
Not easily, no. There are APIs, but none of them allow you do anything useful with your collection. The only way to do it would be faking submissions of their editing page, which I really don't want to do (any changes to the page will cause major issues). I'm already using this method to login to download the export file, but at least that's fairly painless if it fails.