Notices

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
Am I right thinking that people make their own Point Of Interest (poi) databases for Maemo Mapper? If so then we wouldn't breach any copyrights by sharing pois.

I could imagine a repository here on ITT.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
this is an interesting idea that may necessitate a couple of new features. if there is an online shared POI DB, people may not want family and personal type POIs listed, and would probably want a local non-shared POI DB to be available.

depending on the level of effort, you could switch from one to the other, or maybe even have both shown at the same time.

i am sure things like common speed traps on interstates or traffic light cameras would be shareable types of POIs as well as sight-seeing vantage points and what not.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
I thought more of the shareable POIs in the first instance, like free/pay wifi hotspots, petrol stations, etc.

Some clever organising of POIs would be good (even with online access to a shared POI database) but at least sharing some basic info would be a great start.

If someone could upload a POI for (a part of) the UK then over time I would add to it the POIs I find in my area (NW England).

I have a bunch of sharable points of interest for Hawaii so far and a few for Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island (all in USA).

Is it easy to convert a maemo mapper poi database to/from a gpx file with waypoints? Because I'll have a *bunch* more if I can convert my old gps receiver's waypoints to a mm poi db.

And if they are in gpx format, we can use gpsbabel to select them by circular region AFAI recall. (so we download a database, then filter it by distance from "home" and use a much smaller and more manageable database)

The Following User Says Thank You to mzandrew For This Useful Post: