Active Topics

Poll: Your opinion
Poll Options
Your opinion

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Tired of people falsely announcing the new PR1.2?
Pressing the update manager at least once a day?
Following the 1.2 speculation thread every day?
Not satisfied with unofficial releas(es)?

This is no ad, I thought I should give some tips about how to be among the first to know important news (such as FW updates). Also I, have done some of the above and thought.. wait a sec this can be done alot easier!

Twitter/feeds:

- RSS Feeds for your pc are easy, if you need info I suggest you google for instructions.
- Feeds on your N900 can be done as well, for example Feedingit app. (settings can determine new feed update frequency, for example update on WLAN only)

http://twitter.com/Nokconv - Nokia developers tweet important updates and other news, you can select a country closest to you. Knowing that so many people await this one, they will probably announce it the earliest here.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_news#Tuning_in_over_RSS
- Scroll down and see the feeds this community covers, since this community is pretty active I doubt the announcement will be late.

Other tips:

- Note that you might recieve the update later depending on your country. But for the western countries, I don't think it will be days/weeks later after the first. (When the official is released you could download it off the internet like they did with the leaked one, but doublecheck if it is the official one! and check if the scourse is reliable. This is your own responsability!)

- http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware - You may want to prepare for the update, for example reading some parts of this page to learn how to flash to a newer FW version. Alternatively, you could free up much RootFS space if you want to update though App Manager on your N900. http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space

- If a seemingly FW update appears in the app manager, you may want to check if this software comes from the nokia catalog (dunno if its possible to download a false one but who knows what hackers upload to devel or so)

Hoped this helped! For some, the above is probably obvious. Please do not merge with the huge PR1.2 speculation, this thread EDIT: counts for all FW updates and other news, and might be helpful to some.

Last edited by blipnl; 2010-05-06 at 10:11. Reason: humane spelling correction

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ the netherlands
just watch out for the yellow icon on your N900, very easy actually

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Drips For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dr. Drips View Post
if this is enough (as it is for me), that is really ideal.

but if isn't, those advices are golden.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Hoped this helped! For some, the above is probably obvious. Please do not merge with the huge PR1.2 speculation, this thread ****s for all FW updates and other news, and might be helpful to some.
That spelling mistake is priceless

And "yes" the little yellow update indicator is a subtle clue when PR 1.x will be ready.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Slight typo in your last sentence there. I'm assuming you meant counts ...

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Dr. Drips View Post
How frequently does the N900 update on itself on standard settings? And with what kind of connection, any or wifi? (by standard)
This happens to me kinda weekly but goes for all app updates, i am often dissapointed to see updates i don't need (expecting PR 1.2)

Also, the update might come later for you depending on your location Correct me if i am wrong.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by blipnl View Post
How frequently does the N900 update on itself on standard settings? And with what kind of connection, any or wifi? (by standard)
This happens to me kinda weekly but goes for all app updates, i am often dissapointed to see updates i don't need (expecting PR 1.2)

Also, the update might come later for you depending on your location Correct me if i am wrong.
once a day (24h)

Note that you might recieve the update later depending on your country. But for the western countries, I don't think it will be days/weeks later after the first. (When the official is released you could download it off the internet like they did with the leaked one, but doublecheck if it is the official one! and check if the scourse is reliable. This is your own responsability!)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post: