Notices

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Hi,

Curious to know if line-level output is a possibility for the N900 3.5" jack?

Or is there something obvious that I don't know about to allow this (i.e. volume at 0)?

I know you can physically add a resistor in-line to do this, but if there's a method to achieve this in the software, I'd be keen to follow that approach.

Cheers

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
N900 has a headphone output, and, as a result, headphone to line levels should be done externally.

However, in my experience N900 has a standard driver and should be usable with a line input at low volume. Are you using a balanced input on the other side? What exactly is the problem you are having?

Also, "line" level is not standard, at least not across the globe. Since you didn't set your location in your profile, can't even guess what line level you are referring to.

If you want to hook it up to a PC or audio system line in, then low volume should do the trick. Also, have a look at the TV output, though I don't expect significant differences.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Hi ndi,

Thanks for the reply. I'll explain my issue (with the disclaimer that I'm only 2 week into my N900 so if there's something I've missed I apologise).

On my E90, when I plugged it into my car stereo (line in adaptor into Audi Concert system that tricked it into thinking the output was from the CD-Changer unit), I had the option on my E90 of selecting "music dock" mode when it detected the 2.5" to 3.5" dongle being plugged in. I also had the option of "headphone mode".

So, "Music Dock" mode set the output to line out which, just to explain, if you attempt listen on headphones, is insanely overdriven. This is perfect for line-in on an active system such as a amp or - in my case - car stereo where it would expect the input from e.g. CD player (via phono jacks).

I also had a similar issue with my Walkman (my old model, an NW-MD5, had a line out option, whereas my new version does not). Frustratingly I have the "quieter than expected" issue with both my new Walkman and my N900 (that I didn't have with my E90!).

It's not a huge problem, just a curiosity in my case. And I did consider if line-out levels were possible given the facility for TV-Out, which I would assume would include line-out L & R outputs to drive audio.

Hope that makes sense - and my location is UK, if that also helps clarify the issue.

I think I'll have a neb at threads regarding the TV-out cables (seems a hot potato). I'm guessing my Sony camcorder cable will not be compatible so perhaps I'll find someone with a Nokia 5800

Cheers!

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
If this is only about using it in your car, try the FM Transmitter application.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Line out levels and headphone levels are quite close.

When I want to plug my n900 into my high-fi I use the cables supplied for video viewing and simply don't connect the composite plug.

Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
If this is only about using it in your car, try the FM Transmitter application.
Cheers - tried it, but not keen on the sound quality - it's noticeable when you compare FM with the wired connection ; plus there's always one point in my commute that my listening is interrupted by a local station hence I've not yet found the ideal frequency.

Note - the headphone output is okay, but you do get some noise if the CPU is doing stuff.

Which reminds me - tried the Sygic maps app the other day and every time the navigation voice spoke, it cut out the music. Not sure if this was the intention from the designers, but curious why it doesn't just somewhat fade the other sound to a quieter level and back up again (I do digress somewhat).

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
FM is a convenience, not a solution. I'm guessing your best bet is low headphone volume. Barring that, you could drop volume by way of an electronic adapter, preferably a galvanic separator, so noise wouldn't be an issue. Also, protects the N900 in case of electrical spikes.

I have line devices and N900 works fine at low volume, it's just that voltage difference makes it very hard to get consistency. Also, sound is corrected by the N900 at some point or another, and CPU is an issue.

Finally, the stuttering audio on high CPU (or if the wind picks up or a fly is airborne) is a common problem on N900, we have been at it for a while with no real, final solutions. As soon as we make some headway we'll all be happier. Overclocking doesn't help.

Given how sensitive audio is, it's entirely possible the effort of playing another audio simply stutters the music. It could be intentional, but it could be anything.

Unfortunately, there is no player that doesn't have the stuttering issue, though many have tried. I'm afraid you're stuck with either single-tasking when on audio or separate the audio player. You could try a lighter player, but frankly I'm at my eighth and no luck.

I do prefer Instinctive for looks at the very least. Hey, if it stutters, at least it looks good.

In closing, I find this unforgivable from a phone that is suppose to multitask by design. My S60 at 200 MHz had no such issues, and sacrificed everything before it choked. Makes sense to me that audio has priority over web page loading. My biggest gripe with Maemo this far.

ETA:
Fixed!

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Last edited by ndi; 2010-07-22 at 22:18.