Notices

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
I think it's a bit narrow minded to write package descriptions in ones favorite/local language as the default description (see qwerty12's entry below).

Could we please agree to keep, at least include a package description in english (too):

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I find it narrow minded not to provide translations. It doesn't really matter if the fallback is English or French or German if you as a user cannot understand any of these languages and a translation in your language isn't given.
I still believe the "fallback" should be english, and the local translations should/could be added too like mentioned by qwerty12:

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
However, it would save time if in debian/control:
Description: Description in English, saying this has no use for people outside France
XB-Description-fr_FR: French description
I'm not mentioning any packages specifically (You know who You are)...

Over 'n' Out...

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-07-23 at 11:16. Reason: Adding qwerty12/benny1967's suggestion

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
should this be btw criteria for packagetesting?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Actually it should be the other way round: English should only be the fallback; package descriptions should be available in each language Nokia provides on the N900.

The package format allows authors to do just that. It is meant to provide multi-lingual descriptions. The Application Manager will choose the one that matches the current locale.

DrWilken, you find it narrow minded that somebody writes the default package descritption in a language other than English. I find it narrow minded not to provide translations. It doesn't really matter if the fallback is Enlish or French or German if you as a user cannot understand any of these languages and a translation in your language isn't given.

Last edited by benny1967; 2010-07-23 at 10:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
should this be btw criteria for packagetesting?
I would say that if there aren't any local translations of the description (as benny1967 mentions), the english version should at least be available as a "fallback".

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
DrWilken, you find it narrow minded that somebody writes the default package descritption in a language other than English. I find it narrow minded not to provide translations. It doesn't really matter if the fallback is Enlish or French or German if you as a user cannot understand any of these languages and a translation in your language isn't given.
I agree with You. I didn't know about the translations as I'm using english on my N900 (though I'm a Dane).

I just find it rather frustrating having to use Google translate (though I have Gtranslate installed), to find out what an app does...

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-07-23 at 11:02.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
The only app I've seen thus far that does this is AutoFreeWifi. Its French description got me curious, so I searched for "FreeWifi" and found it was some service provided by Free, a French ISP.

So, really, the French description implicitly tells me that I'd have no use for it outside of France (mind, this would've been fun if it was in Québécois French...).

Description: Description in English, saying this has no use for people outside France

Since I appear to be contradicting and confusing myself: I don't mind the main description in another language because it signifies it's not for me, but bonus points if you are courteous and include a small English description saying it'll probably be of no use to you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I totally agree...

I could mention other packages too...

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-07-23 at 11:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to DrWilken For This Useful Post: