Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
I disagree myself.

Anti-theft measures are better handled by IMEI blacklisting.

A device lock that can be disabled by a reflash, then read out and brute forced, is not really a device lock. All it does is delay the inevitable.

My vote would be for a theft sticky advising people to go to their local government communications bureau to submit their IMEI rather than make a big deal about device locks that are really only designed to prevent access to the rootfs until reflash.

That's just me though. I'll happily type out how to do it if I see someone ask, no matter the post count : )
i dont know about phone thieves where you are, but the ones i know of arent the brightest or most dedicated bunch, if they cant overcome the lock code after asking 5 people they'll give up and nick another or sell it as is. i cant imagine a single one of them learning a reflash is required off their own back, never mind actually doing it!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 223 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Wish I was in Greece
Hey guys just read this thread believe it or not after Dancairo pointed it out. Did we come to a consensus on this? Mods? I don't want to go against the grain so I am all for a common solution.

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
I know this is out of the blue but....

Is there an app that will password protect my phone. For example, when i unlock it i want it to prompt me for a password?

Similiar to how iphone have the password protect, and blackberry have a password option.

Apologies if this has already been answered.

Thanks,

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
How about suggesting people asking for help with lock codes to maybe post a photo here with their phone, receipt and face in it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Well like it or not TMO is not the only place where you can ask people regarding unlock code whether you forgot it or accidentally found N900 on the street same is true for illegal software such as Angry birds or Sygic maps

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
For what little it's worth, I'd like to add my voice to those who have been arguing against helping people defeat the phone's lock code. I may be biased, because my first N900 was stolen last August, but some of these stories about accidentally locking a phone are pretty implausible.

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Well like it or not TMO is not the only place where you can ask people regarding unlock code whether you forgot it or accidentally found N900 on the street same is true for illegal software such as Angry birds or Sygic maps
Very true, but I think it's better to make a little stand...

Last edited by Dancairo; 2010-11-19 at 08:28.

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
For what little it's worth, I'd like to add my voice to those who have been arguing against helping people defeat the phone's lock code. I may be biased, because my first N900 was stolen last August, but some of these stories about accidentally locking a phone are pretty implausible.
Sorry for your loss Ken.

I think we should help though, it wouldn't take a new member long to upload a photo...having said that, I have no idea where my receipt would be, probably in the bin long ago, and I was stupid enough to lock my phone some time ago and got help here, although I had been a member for a while...
Basically, an honest request for help would surely be followed by a willingness to try and prove the phone is not stolen and an understanding of the request.

Dan

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Before PR 1.3 I changed default lock code and when I flashed my phone completely lock code didn't change , Am I right in assuming code change is implemented at a hardware level or its just that full reflash doesn't erase a part of OS where the lock code is?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

just share the code for unlock network N900 please...thanks