Notices

MSCIM tool is awesome, but this is what i use:

http://www.mandarintools.com/worddict.html

and than copy/paste the chinese character. done. no battery drain from using mscim (powertop says it wakes up my device like 24 times)

Originally Posted by jukzh View Post
Ok i think i fugured:
Create these:
Code:
Nokia-N900:~# cat /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules-vkb-ON
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/hildon-im-module.so" 
"hildon-input-method" "Hildon Input Method" "hildon-input-method-framework" "/usr/share/locale" "*" 

Nokia-N900:~# cat /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules-vkb-OFF
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-scim.so"
"scim" "SCIM Input Method" "scim" "/usr/share/locale" "*"

Nokia-N900:~# cat /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules.status 
And to swap run this:
Code:
Nokia-N900:~# cat imvk-swap.sh 
#!/bin/sh
#/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules-vkb-OFF
#/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules-vkb-ON

VKBON=$(cat /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules.status)

if [ "$VKBON" == "0" ]
then
    echo 'Switching to 	ONBOARD...'
    cat /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules-vkb-ON  > \
	/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules
    echo '1' > /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules.status
else
    echo 'Switching to 	PINYIN...'                    
    cat /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules-vkb-OFF  > \
        /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules         
    echo '0' > /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules.status 
fi
After restarting app, you input on, should work
jukzh,

Did you manage to install maemocjk? I installed it via app manager since it is a metapackage. I think it conflicts with mscim so if you have that installed you must remove it.

The code you posted, that is working for mscim? Does auto capitalisation work too?

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Australia
Jukzh's script does work for mscim! Thanks a million!

When 'ONBOARD' is enabled, then auto-capitalisation and auto-completion is working. Also, and this is very valuable, Fn-Ctrl (Sym) brings up the symbol keyboard. However, I could not access the 'normal' alphabet keyboard.

What the script does not do is remove/stop the SCIM processes when 'ONBOARD' is enabled. Stopping SCIM, when not required, would be good for battery life...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkelim For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vkelim View Post
Jukzh's script does work for mscim! Thanks a million!

When 'ONBOARD' is enabled, then auto-capitalisation and auto-completion is working. Also, and this is very valuable, Fn-Ctrl (Sym) brings up the symbol keyboard. However, I could not access the 'normal' alphabet keyboard.

What the script does not do is remove/stop the SCIM processes when 'ONBOARD' is enabled. Stopping SCIM, when not required, would be good for battery life...
It sounds good. I really wanted the auto-caps and auto-completion and hence I went with scim. The scim's pinyin input is years behind mscim though. I might give it a go sometime and report back.

Can you explain what you mean by not able to access the 'normal' alphabet keyboard? do you mean the virtual keyboard?

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Australia
Yes, rexii23, the virtual keyboard with letters 'QWERTY' etc. will not appear for me. However, it is possible to access the symbol keyboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to vkelim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ intheclouds
Hi guys!
Jukzh's script's working for me also! You make may day men - Thanks!
Form me - Fn-Ctrl (Sym) symbol keyboard and 'normal' alphabet keyboard work! and Auto capitalization and dictionary for English words work also.
However I need to close the application (if it is x-terminal I need to close all instances) and reopen it again - then it work!

Also today I got new update of MSCIM - It looks like Evan JIANG is working really hard last week or so - Thanks man!

There is one more thing - is there a way to use this script without root privileges? Because it give error loading modules in gtk* files if try to start the imvk-swap.sh like user( it is in /opt/ and chmoded +x) but still we need full root access and run-standalone.sh does not help?

Greetings
Attached Files
File Type: zip jukzh-scripts-mscim.zip (921 Bytes, 107 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mveplus For This Useful Post:
I'm the maintainer of the MSCIM package.
Well, the last update is mainly for:
1. Make less changes to system. The /etc/event.d/scim is removed, and the hildon im is still kept in the gtk.immdoule file. But use export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim to set MSCIM as default input method
2. Support input in Qt application. For that, you need to install mscim-bridge-client-qt4. The MSCIM doesn't work really well under Qt apps, that you could only press Fn and other keys together to input the blue characters.

Notice: After update to latest package, you need reboot to make MSCIM work again. If possible, I suggest you apt-get purge mscim first, and reinstall mscim.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firstfan For This Useful Post:
@mveplus,

to run the script via a widget with root privilages install sudser, and config the widget to run the command sudo sh /pathtoyourscript/imvk-swap.sh

I went ahead and tried this script. a few observations. The script would swap input method in some applications e.g x-term, notes but not others. e.g conversations.

If the n900 is booted with scim active, the process scim-panel-gtk is loaded permanently and running the script to invoke the vkb does not shut it down. which results in battery drain.

if the n900 is booted with the vkb active, the process scim-panel-gtk is NOT loaded at all, but somehow the script would still work to swap input method in applications such as notes, x-term. however, for conversations, pinyin does not work.

Can anyone figure a way to kill scim-panel-gtk? I know using scim, there is an option in the input panel that you can select to stop the scim process and in turn killing scim-panel-gtk, but mscim doesn't give that option.

Can anyone test if the same thing happens to them also? It doesn't seem as reliable which is a shame.

EDIT: had another reboot and now scim-panel-gtk is alway loaded. I'm out of ideas.

Last edited by rexii23; 2010-11-08 at 09:15.

(Cross-posting for other suffering MSCIM users)

I have just created a status menu switcher applet, which allows on-the-fly enabling/disabling of MSCIM (no rebooting).

This will save your battery life greatly, and also allows you to use the onscreen keyboard and symbol menu again!

It still has a few rough edges, but will probably be helpful to most people not requiring MSCIM to be active constantly.

Read this thread carefully, and then download the package if you wish to try it.

All usual warnings apply!! I will not be responsible if your device requires reflashing afterwards, etc.