Poll: Will you be buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab?
Poll Options
Will you be buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab?

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Streak looks nice, yes, but doesn't it only come with Android 1.6?
I am using a pretty advanced 2.2 now
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=802405

I can't quite bring myself to justify switching to it from N900, ................because the screen isn't really that much larger.
As for screen size, I think the N900 is 3.5” and the resolution is an impressive 800 x 400? It would be interesting to have them side by side.

Certainly the iPhone 3GS 3.5” 480 x 320 is pathetic by comparison.

Last edited by Rebski; 2010-11-10 at 14:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
As for screen size, I think the N900 is 3.5” and the resolution is an impressive 800 x 400? It would be interesting to have them side by side.
800x480, actually.

The Following User Says Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Turkishflavor View Post
no, its useless, have N900 and a netbook, thats enough for portable needs
I am glad you have found a combination works for you. I would dispute your definition of portable however.

The Tab is infinitely more portable than that and with no loss in functionality.

My point is that I get the same functionality from the Streak as I would from the Tab. So I can't agree with you at all.

To me, the concept here of portability is carrying one device. Each to his own of course, but what you are advocating comes outside the point of discussion on this device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by blue_led View Post
samsung protuct ?
any, ....... , never ! i want to be samsung free, or worst case, almost free.
arguments :
my company had samsung printers . 3 of them overheat and fuser melted pressure roll and welded on heat element.
if you want to give fire of your home go samsung printers.

at least one batch of lcd monitors went to service for switching power
source replacement or main board replacement

so .. never samsung.
Products go wrong, it happens. It's how they deal with it afterwards that matters really. In Samsung's case, this has always been excellent for me - I bought a new Samsung TV last year, after about 2 months of use, the TV would randomly stop accepting signals from the remote or front buttons, then after a few minutes would shut down, then be fine when turned back on.
Yaa boo sucks to samsung you might say, but - I called samsung about mid afternoon, reported the fault with them - 15 minutes later I got a call back from the local samsung authorised repair centre, who arranged to come to me THE NEXT MORNING and promptly replaced both the of the TV's boards (power and control). The guy was in my home for 15 minutes tops, less than 18 hours after calling samsung, and i've had a perfectly working TV ever since.
Can't fault service like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Active digitizers register only the pen tip and include metrics like tilt/orientation/pressure and even register hovering of the pen above the pad surface.
This is simply not always the case. My first A4 sized tablet from Trust, while having an active digitizer, did not include tilt or orientation. Pressure, yes. The stylus on my tablet PC, while made by Wacom, did not include tilt or orientation. Pressure was messured through the screen, not the stylus. It had one pen with a tip, another that was almost the same as the type Nokia use. Only my current Wacom has tilt and orientation.

And again, I would not have bought either except to draw.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The Tab actually has a Bluetooth Stylus accessory for precision input, though it remains to be seen if it can behave like an active digitizer rather than a passive stylus,
Now, that is interesting. But I'd still prefer to put it safely into the chassis during transport, like with my tablet PC and with my maemo devices. For my tablet PC I always use the smaller in-slot stylus and NEVER the bigger, better stylus that goes in the PC bag. In real estate they would explain this with "Location, Location, Location".

Last edited by volt; 2010-11-10 at 16:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Update - change of mind.

I am buying one just as soon as someone produces a Target Motif wallpaper
http://www.slashgear.com/brave-samsu...ideo-10113335/

This is one versatile device, bring it down to your shooting gallery, take potshots at it and then play Angry Birds on the way home.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
For me, with dual-core ARM processors just around the corner, I can't see myself buying any more single-core computers.

What are your thoughts?
The Tab is the only tablet i've seen recently that can give the 1 gun salute to Apple's Ipad. - .- ..i.

I'm sure I don't need to go into any detail to describe why someone would prefer it over an iPad, so I won't.

But, I like the Tab. However, I prefer open source.

Get maemo on it?

Get a Maemo tablet?

I don't know.

I'm considering buying it but I'm direly anticipating waiting for something that won't make me regret spending a half grand on a Tab i'd be using for; -

browsing, reading, phoning, geocaching, irc, vnc, shell, ftp, network / server engineering -

Its early days yet. But I'd love to see something as personal as maemo on a tablet with some connectivity/integration and beefy hardware & battery life....

...Dreams on...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Update - change of mind.

I am buying one just as soon as someone produces a Target Motif wallpaper
http://www.slashgear.com/brave-samsu...ideo-10113335/

This is one versatile device, bring it down to your shooting gallery, take potshots at it and then play Angry Birds on the way home.
You could simply load this image into the web browser:

I think it would be HILARIOUS to watch an Apple fanboy club try to buy one just to shoot at it with their BB's and get all upset and frustrated. It would be like watching all those protesters trying to burn non-flammable flags.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: