Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Does anyone know how beaten to death the N900 would have to be in order for it to not charge the standard battery?

I would assume a submerged/corroded MB would do this, or a pulled USB port but if...say...the screen was cracked and dead, would you still be able to pop a battery in and charge it? If it was bricked?

I've been browsing for a desktop charger, they all kinda spook me a bit, but I've seen a number of threads from people who have dropped/broken their N900 and thought...hey maybe I can find a busted one and use it as a charger for spare batteries, or heck even spare parts if something breaks on mine.

here is a new charger
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...331~r.33283278

and here is a battery better than the genuine
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...398~r.33283278

they are both shipped for free :-)

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Thanks for the links (already have 2 of the Japod's and they are great batteries) but the charger I was looking for is a desktop one that charges without the phone, so I can have a battery charging at home when I'm out using my N900.

Thus, wondering if a scrapped N900 might work in that function

The charger in n900 has the job of bringing the battery up high enough so that it can boot. After turning on the CPU, the bootloader takes over charging until it thinks there's enough to start maemo. Maemo takes over charging.

If Maemo fails to boot the process loops indefinitely, with the battery hovering somewhere around the minimal-power-to-boot-maemo threshold.

If the cpu fails at booting then battery will hover at the lower threshold.

In either case it wouldn't be a good battery charger unless it boots completely.