Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by rheve View Post
A quick correction: HTTP is definitively NOT streaming.
Tunneling RTSP and RTP over HTTP is not an unusual trick for streaming media players and servers to use to bypass firewalls. If a client can't communicate with a server via any other method, it falls back on making a HTTP GET request and a HTTP POST request to the server, and the server then uses the two to form a full-duplex connection for streaming RTSP and RTP data.

Is there a way of getting this to work on the 770? Media Player complains that the file format is not supported :S

Thanks for any help,
André

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Tunneling RTSP and RTP over HTTP is not an unusual trick for streaming media players and servers to use to bypass firewalls. If a client can't communicate with a server via any other method, it falls back on making a HTTP GET request and a HTTP POST request to the server, and the server then uses the two to form a full-duplex connection for streaming RTSP and RTP data.
Ouch, we are entering the 4th dimension (I just wishes to explain a little bit the difference and I didn't thought we would end in a very high tech discussion)
Agree, you can do tunneling through HTTP. However, the transport protocol is still RTP/RTCP (even encapsulated inside HTTP) and thus still streaming.
I really doubt the N800 / Media player knows how to do that.

As for is it supported on N800/N770, I fear not.
The problem is that for each type of content (MPEG-4, AAC, Real, WMV) their is a different way to split the content in pieces (packetization ) to send it on the network. So on the player side, you need the exact software to be able to transform the network packets into a media stream (de-packetization)

It can happen that the player knows how to process / de-packetize Real packets (it is able to do Real streaming) but not the 3GPP/ISMA/MPEG-4 ones (it is not 3GPP/ISMA/MPEG-4 compliant).
I think this is what happens when the player says the media format is not supported.

If it is not in the player from the beginning, I fear their is no way to "add" it, unless the developers have provided the needed hooks to add an extension (plug in).

Note: I'm working in this field, so I love explaining it

Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
it works for me but the video isn't that good,
stage 6 web site is the best i think for now
the only thing all the extra work i have to download then convert it to
3gp i use SUPER but a lot of their video's are in HD
and what can beat that

Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
sorry for going off the topic
but youtube isn"t the only option for video
it would be nice just to view video's while on the web but
technology advances daily tomorrow there will be something
better, bigger and i can't wait till bluray gets hack't lol

Last edited by Sadavyk; 2007-06-19 at 00:52.