Active Topics

I find it amusing that this site discusses the Nokia ITs, which both have a built-in GTalk client and yet in the profile we can enter IDs for ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, Skype but not GTalk.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
GTalk uses Jabber for chat.

Yes, but if you're using a GTalk account that isn't @gmail.com, unless your DNS supports TXT entries (which mine doesn't currently) you can't use it for normal Jabber communications. I have my domain setup using Google's Apps for Domains but I can't put in the necessary DNS entries to make my domain use Google's servers for Jabber.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
Originally Posted by Mysticode View Post
Yes, but if you're using a GTalk account that isn't @gmail.com, unless your DNS supports TXT entries (which mine doesn't currently) you can't use it for normal Jabber communications. I have my domain setup using Google's Apps for Domains but I can't put in the necessary DNS entries to make my domain use Google's servers for Jabber.
I have the same setup, and even though we are on two different domains we can chat with each other. So you can use it with anyone on Google whether is Googla Apps or gmail. It's the other Jabber servers that you need to set SRV records in your DNS for. Now granted, not an ideal solution, but I don't know anyone that uses plain Jabber (not GTalk). That might just be me though.

Sorry that I didn't make it clear that yes, within GTalk/GMail it works fine but since it isn't necessarily configured completely, it is not technically Jabber compatible. Anyway, it was just a thought, I don't know anyone using non-GTalk Jabber either... And thank you for correcting me that it is SRV records, not TXT (been a while since i looked at it).