Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
Hey, I don't have Harmattan device, and I don't know what is going on?
Which kind of problem do you have with dnsmasq?
I remember that dnsmasq string I have used with n900 didn't work with n810 (probably with older version) so I had to write arguments the way both versions understand them.
No idea what have been changed in dnsmasq, do you have some error output?

It does not matter where you execute the script from. You just can run it. What it basicly does is it switches wlan device to the ad-hoc mode and sets ESSID, then assigns an IP address to it, and configures dnsmasq to forward all requests to the local http server. Can you clarify what does not work and how?

Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
Dnsmasq on Harmattan is a process tun by "nobody" and as daemon that respawns 3 times and in the end force reboots phone. Part of Aegis security platform on N9.
So you can't really kill it like you do in the script.

However, a member here, Brkn, found a way using udhcpd and leaving dnsmasq at peace which works so far.
Script is being polished out these days.
About dns and providing Internet connection to clients connected to PirateBox - we are still looking for a tiny small dns provider we can install and run on demand.

Originally Posted by knobtviker View Post
Dnsmasq on Harmattan is a process tun by "nobody" and as daemon that respawns 3 times and in the end force reboots phone. Part of Aegis security platform on N9.
So you can't really kill it like you do in the script.

However, a member here, Brkn, found a way using udhcpd and leaving dnsmasq at peace which works so far.
Script is being polished out these days.
About dns and providing Internet connection to clients connected to PirateBox - we are still looking for a tiny small dns provider we can install and run on demand.
It's done. Stay tuned.

The Following User Says Thank You to brkn For This Useful Post:
more and more I feel that it is useless to think about such solutions. We try to bypass aegis limitations, but why do we have them?
Why don't we choose gta-04 board instead of Nokia N9? Because we need glamorous proprietary swipe, and then we need to find a way to bypass freedom limitations? It's like spending our efforts on bypassing limitations instead of improving free systems.

Last edited by norayr; 2012-11-19 at 22:01.

Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
Well, it did take a lot more knowledge and patience that Brkn has to make this work.
Why not improve anything you can and know how to approve?
Free or not.

I understand your point. Just afraid that by moving in this direction we may end up hacking an iphone and bypassing it's limitations with the same slogan.
Why not help iphone users? I don't know. I don't really care about people who made a choice to get a non-free platform.
I think I more and more tend to use nemomobile, SHR, qtmoko - cause if I happen to contribute something, the probability it is not just taking me from -m to -n (where m > n) but from n to m is higher.
I mean the effort may be spent to create something new, rather than to get the freedom to create something new.

Last edited by norayr; 2012-11-19 at 22:29.

and I don't "count" efforts of other people,
I speak for myself.