Active Topics

Notices

There have been some issues reported with Maemo Mapper (any version) in conjunction with the N800 (any version).

The issues seem to revolve around the "Download Route" dialog (and possibly other dialogs) and the subsequent use of the any Save dialog (track or route), and only when GPS is enabled (and a GPS receiver is connected). Trying the save a route or track after using the "Download Route" dialog causes Maemo Mapper to crash. If you try the Save dialog first (before the Download Route dialog), no crash occurs - it only crashes if the first Save invocation occurs after the Download Route dialog is used (even if you cancel that dialog).

If you start Maemo Mapper from the command line, you get completely different (though still bizarre) behavior. Performing exactly the same steps doesn't result in a crash - instead it merely disconnects the connection to your GPS receiver, and Maemo Mapper refuses to reconnect until it is restarted.

Actually, the variance in behaviors between normal and command-line execution mirrors another bizarre problem that I haven't been able to solve - the mysterious crash that occurs when you go out of range of your GPS receiver. In fact, I will go so far as to say that the Save dialog crash is caused by the same thing - the disconnection of the GPS receiver (the only difference being in how the disconnect occurs). For some reason, disconnection of the GPS receiver causes Maemo Mapper to crash when run normally (as opposed to from the command line).

I have been trying to solve this problem for the past couple of weeks, and I am ready to concede defeat. The reason I'm okay with this is a combination of many things:

1. The problem doesn't exist on the 770, implying the possibility that the bug is inherent to the N800 and thus not solvable by me;
2. There is a workaround (using RFCOMM); and
3. The debugging has been eating into my ability to finish v2.0;
4. The problem may go away as part of v2.0, in which case N800 users can simply upgrade to v2.0 and forget the N800-specific problems of v1.4.x.

Does this sound fair enough? It really burns me to leave an unresolved bug in code, but I can forgive myself if you guys are willing to forgive me, in which case I can move on to bigger and better things (finishing v2.0).

P.S. No, v2.0 is not quite "almost ready" - it may be out before the end of July, but only if things go smoothly, so don't quote me on that, and certainly don't go starting flame wars about when it will be ready!

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
More than fair. Thanks for the update and the hard work.