Active Topics

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
I'm not really looking for "actual applications" as different ones are considered necessary by different users. What I'm looking for are performance and usability improvements without real drawkbacks. What are the improvements/hacks/changes/anything you would put on every N900 you come across? What are the ones you'd only put on your own device?

For example, I read somewhere something about moving RootFS to the main memory (and thus being able to freely scale it) and moving swap to the separate memory RootFS used to reside on. Possible benefits? Possible drawbacks? Possible at all?
Thread.
Brainstorm.

VFAT -> EXT3?

Kernel Power? I'm not going to OC, but the other features are intriguing.

Then there's the Speed Batch, which sounds great as it claims to give more priority to the currently run task than to the background tasks, as such possibly degrading multitasking performance but on the other hand providing a faster user experience.

CSSU and Hildon desktop portrait mode seem pretty obvious choices. CatorisePlus for arranging the menu.

I'm not much of a techie, which is why I can't really discuss all these in detail. I just want to reap the benefits I was thinking it might be good to have an easy-to-follow guideline somewhere for people on what recommended actions to take right after reflashing :)

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
I'm not really looking for "actual applications" as different ones are considered necessary by different users. What I'm looking for are performance and usability improvements without real drawkbacks. What are the improvements/hacks/changes/anything you would put on every N900 you come across? What are the ones you'd only put on your own device?

For example, I read somewhere something about moving RootFS to the main memory (and thus being able to freely scale it) and moving swap to the separate memory RootFS used to reside on. Possible benefits? Possible drawbacks? Possible at all?
Thread.
Brainstorm.

VFAT -> EXT3?

Kernel Power? I'm not going to OC, but the other features are intriguing.

Then there's the Speed Batch, which sounds great as it claims to give more priority to the currently run task than to the background tasks, as such possibly degrading multitasking performance but on the other hand providing a faster user experience.

CSSU and Hildon desktop portrait mode seem pretty obvious choices. CatorisePlus for arranging the menu.

I'm not much of a techie, which is why I can't really discuss all these in detail. I just want to reap the benefits I was thinking it might be good to have an easy-to-follow guideline somewhere for people on what recommended actions to take right after reflashing
Geeze, ask a big question.

0. Immediatley after reflash re-partition device (i.e. 5G Opt, 25G Mydocs).

1. INSTALLL BACKUP MENU!!

2. Install power kernel, set limits 205-805. Figure out the best voltage profile for yourself and enable smart reflex.

3. Install swappolube (gui-no-gui, whatever)

4. Install shortcutd, set single press to dashboard, long press to skip track.

5. Paste this into a root shell to enable cam focus button (skip track) through lock screen:

Code:
echo "echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/cam_focus/disable;  chmod 4
44 /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/cam_focus/disable" > /etc/X11/Xsession.post
/80cam_button; chmod +x /etc/X11/Xsession.post/80cam_button
6. Install CSSU.

7. Install transition control and half the value of EVERYTHING.

8. Install 2g/3g switcher applett, simple brightness applett.

9. Install powertop.

Job done. After everything else system wise you install check with powertop to see if it is causing a significant number of extra wakeups.

i.e. programs like 'flashlight extra' and 'advanced interface switcher' while seemingly benign in fact hurt your battery life.

There is a probably some more, however this is a good start.

Last edited by vi_; 2011-08-05 at 07:35.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Geeze, ask a big question.

0. Immediatley after reflash re-partition device (i.e. 5G Opt, 25G Mydocs).

1. INSTALLL BACKUP MENU!!

2. Install power kernel, set limits 205-805. Figure out the best voltage profile for yourself and enable smart reflex.

3. Install swappolube (gui-no-gui, whatever)

4. Install shortcutd, set single press to dashboard, long press to skip track.

5. Paste this into a root shell to enable cam focus button (skip track) through lock screen:

Code:
echo "echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/cam_focus/disable;  chmod 4
44 /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/cam_focus/disable" > /etc/X11/Xsession.post
/80cam_button; chmod +x /etc/X11/Xsession.post/80cam_button
6. Install CSSU.

7. Install transition control and half the value of EVERYTHING.

8. Install 2g/3g switcher applett, simple brightness applett.

9. Install powertop.

Job done. After everything else system wise you install check with powertop to see if it is causing a significant number of extra wakeups.

i.e. programs like 'flashlight extra' and 'advanced interface switcher' while seemingly benign in fact hurt your battery life.

There is a probably some more, however this is a good start.
Big thanks! I'll have to study the repartitioning more from the wiki.

I've used Camera Lens Launcher to replace flashlight-extra, I tried the latter one earlier. I've also already used backupmenu, swappolube (recommended settings), shortcud with long press as "go to desktop", transition control with everything at 0, and the two status menu appletts.

I was thinking I wouldn't perhaps install battery-eye after reflashing as it runs a daemon in the background and I don't find it so necessary anymore. Powertop sure looks useful, though.

Posts: 476 | Thanked: 438 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Sweden
where I found a good guide how to re-partition device ?

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by robin92 View Post
where I found a good guide how to re-partition device ?
Install backupmenu, enter USB Mass Storage Mode from backupmenu, and use GParted on Linux to resize/create partitions.

If you want to reformat partitions, you'll need to make sure you have all the mount points correctly set.