Notices

IMO it's best way - learn along the way. Don't see reason, for calling it dumb. AFAIK most of useful things created by manking started this way.

// Edit

For "unknown" reasons, it reminds me about how people are afraid of taking first step of putting application into repositories =)

Sorry, can't stop myself from writing it.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
IMO it's best way - learn along the way.
For "unknown" reasons, it reminds me about how people are afraid of taking first step of putting application into repositories =)

Sorry, can't stop myself from writing it.

Depends what you want. It's sure the best way if you want to learn something.
I enjoy the coding and learning along the way, but I am interested (not only but mainly) in the result. I am no developer. I am a user who knows enough about coding for mostly (valid for smaller projects and scripts) getting what he wants.

Don't see reason, for calling it dumb. AFAIK most of useful things created by manking started this way.
Not sure about that. Maybe you have some examples for what you mean.
Not what he (B. Brecht) meant with this sentence and maybe only because Caesar passes my way sometimes for my distinct penchant for latin, and though it could be misunderstood. But it sums it up in some way.
"Caesar beat the Gauls. Did he not have even a cook with him? "

If thats a community for "learning to code" it's fine. But if it's a community for "improving maemo" it's dumb.
We could already have this integrated.

I think someone who is learning along the way, got very much chance of improving Maemo more, than someone who got - even relatively high - knowledge from the beginning, but at the end got it (closely) the same, without huge improvements (cause doing only things he already know how to do, mostly).

It's all about curiosity - I'm curious, if I can make some things better than they are, and if yes, how. And what will happen if I'll try that or another approach. Someone claim this way is better, but his rationale doesn't make me 100% sure? Lets do benchmarks, even if it take long time to just prove that she/he was right.

I think it's something about philosophy of life But, I don't want to make so big off-top in thread about Your gestures idea
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I think someone who is learning along the way, got very much chance of improving Maemo more, than someone who got - even relatively high - knowledge from the beginning.
That's true for one person,but not for a group (with limited time). Spezialisation is effektive. You can see that anywhere

It's all about curiosity - I'm curious, if ...
It's all about your curiosity. I want to use this phone in the first place. I want it to do what I want. Of course curious people are needed with such device, but in the end it has to serve some purpose.
It's not about the philosophy of life. It's just, what do you want the n900 do for you.

Hehe, IMO group of 3 people = 3 * knowledge of one guy

Also, I don't mean that our curiosity must lead to check everything about every aspect. Gaining knowledge doesn't conflict with specialization, naturally, You're mostly improving Your knowledge about things that interest You.

At the beginning, almost no one from community knew anything about N900, except some misty connections with Debian infrastructure. Without curiosity and learning along the way, we would not have almost *any* thins for N900, be it FM Radio, or CSSU. Not to mention such thins like USB hostmode, which were 100% undocumented, until some curious guys started to investigate it. And things like injection drivers for WiFi?... Reverse engineering of FMTX?

I can list initiatives for a long time, and we would end on having here list off almost everything in repos and outside, except some basic games and simple programs. Every core maemo community project involves *much* investigating about things we have not idea about, before we checked it out of curiosity. Really, it's much easier to put here short list of documented things, that name all undocumented ones, which were documented by curious people for all these years.

For me, it *heavily* impact how I use my N900. to be honest, it even make me to use it at all I've decided to bought it after extensive research (curiosity? ;P ), after such event like elopcalypse etc. It was, at the end, 100% "educated" decision, and I would do it again and again, without any doubts Thank to curious people around here, in late 2011 our ~2008 device doesn't have any real competitors for sane people in market of true mobile computers with phone functionality
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2011-08-28 at 10:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Is this thread about something like this for fremantle: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4268?

It uses X11 technology, so easy to port if all extensions (only XRecord) are present.

Last edited by Pillum; 2011-08-28 at 12:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pillum For This Useful Post:
With group I meant whole maemo.org.
I didn't say anything against curiosity. I just wanted to point out, that the use is my main interest. Being curious didn't lead anywhere in this topic here the last month. Sometimes things just have to be done.
You can't deny that our whole industry/civilisation is based on division of labor.
Maybe we could have more right now?

Originally Posted by Pillum View Post
Is this thread about something like this for fremantle: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4268

It uses X11 technology, so easy to port if all extensions (only XRecord) are present.
sounds interesting