Notices

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Elite running native on the N900

Bored, at work waiting for some tables to build and fidding with my N900. This very recent Elite beta built for Pandora is running on the N900:

http://www.adamcolley.co.uk/2011/07/...available.html

Mount the .pnd from the link as a loop device on your favourite OS (couldn't do this directly on the N900 for some reason?), extract, copy over to N900, change runme.sh to invoke /bin/sh rather than bash (or install bash I suppose), install libvorbisfile (apt-get install libvorbisfile3) and launch runme.sh from inside a terminal.

Note - only just done this and can't seem to quit (even power-button -> kill current task failed) ; so have openssh-server + connection running on your phone to log in remotely to kill the process.

ObDisclaimer: If you need to ask any questions about the above, then don't try it!

Dare say we're needing someone experience in Pandora porting to have a look at this and sort-out the keystrokes, launch in full screen etc ; but it's deffo a project worth looking at.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Does the .pnd contain source? Recompiling would be best option and if I remember this game (was too young to handle its complicated/intricate UI) all the buttons on sides of screen are from the author of port. Quite a lot of work went into them and it wouldn't make sense to repeat the effort. With source this could happen much faster

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
@szopin - no source I'm afraid. Had another look at the author's blog and it appears to be WIP. I might contact him and ask him how he's getting on. Last few entries had him grumbling about his Pandora, so it could be he's given it up - in which case it might be worth requesting he pushes his work here for someone to take over?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Getting Elite from scratch to the tablet-friendly-state it seems to be in in his port is a lot of work. If he would share his source this would be just a matter of tunning controls/keys. It was always a game I wished I mastered so I would welcome it very warmly on maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
It seems the pandora elite was based on Elite TNK. The project is dead since David Bradbane requested removal of binaries and source.

I wonder how did they got source code.

The other option is to port oolite (depends on OpenGL).

Elite TNK is better suited for N8x0.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
OpenGL is no way suited for N900/N8x0. Hope the source leaks some way or another...

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
OpenGL is no way suited for N900/N8x0. Hope the source leaks some way or another...
If we get the source, I am willing to handle N8x0 (I am waiting for some spare parts).

Who will ask for the source?

EDIT: So far I could not find download-able source. The latest binary for PC is 1.0.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-09-03 at 06:58.