Active Topics

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Hi All, I am an avid mobile video viewer and have some questions/requests in regards to the video player on the N9N950.

1. Can the default video player be modified so that it does NOT pause the video when it is put into the background? I want it to continuously play the video with sound even while shown as a thumbnail in the task switcher or while web browsing etc. (N900 can do this with SiB+mplayer) This is my biggest request and I am even willing to donate a small amount of $10 if this can be done. =)

2. Can it remember the last played position of all the videos? or does it only remember the position for the very last played 1 video?

3. Can the thumbnail size of the videos in the video player be made smaller so that you can see more videos listed in the single screen and reduce the need for scrolling?

4. Lastly but not in the least, can it be made to have a lock feature (kid mode) where it doesn't react to any screen touches during playback. (e.g. lock mode toggled using the power button like the Samsung Android devices) It would make it an awesome phone to calm my kids down while making them not able to easily swipe it away or stop it by accidental touches.

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-09-16 at 05:09.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
The video player is not open source, so it can't be modified. To answer your second question, it remembers the positions of all played videos (the tracker provides this information).

As for playing videos when minimized, I have experienced segfaults when testing this using the QML Video component.

Had the source code for the video player been made available, the other modifications you mention would have been very easy to implement. In fact, it would not take very long to completely replace the stock video player with an open QML equivalent. The application is very simple and has very few features.

All above statements are based on my experiences with the N950. I don't know if the video player has since been updated for the N9.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Thanks for the info marxian. I was afraid of that (being it closed) and so I guess it's similar scenario to the N900. I guess I can only hope Nokia would realize how many people would benefit from some of the features I mentioned and implement it themselves.

Does anyone know who the Nokia developer is for the media player? or how I can make any form of enhancement requests to him/her? Somethings just need to be requested or it may never even cross their mind...

Anyways, other apps show live thumbnails so why not the same for the videos? I just don't understand. I guess the developer never cares for watching videos on mobile phones.

Update:
I have posted the request here with some additions and extra ideas.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=31461

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-09-17 at 06:40.