Notices

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
If anyone tinkered with Debian roxterm / mrxvt and deb-forced them into the system like me during the last two days, they might run.

In fact, they ran very well. Despite having unresolved dependency to a newer libc6 when using an older version back from debian lenny.

Aaaand: i had to do another ugly hack: overwriting a libvte4 component because it was included in libvte9 too (which is needed by roxterm).

After not being able to upgrade the system neither by fapman nor shell because of the dependency issues that crept up every time i wanted to perform an upgrade, i decided to uninstall both terminal emulators. Result: uh-oh, big time.

The apt process deinstalled libvte9, and with it libvte4.so.9 something. No issue i thought, because i made a backup before overwriting it.

harhar. I was not able to use ANY shell afterwards, even with the .so in place again. Internal error and X-Term closed. No vim, no mc, no nothing. Ok, let's reinstall libvte4 and possibly osso-xterm from manually downloaded packages (Fremantle SDK armel versions).

Not possible. I got "Incompatible package" from Ham, because installing it from File Box through HAM was the only option (CmdShortcuts was the other, but... uh, no.).

The rescue after not being able to use sshd and usb0 networking from a linux box while booted into actual hildon instead of BackupMenu? installed mksh. that's it. i got a terminal again. And from here on i apt-get install --reinstall both osso-xterm and libvte4. It's working again....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
It sounds like you had a fun day.

mrxvt works like a charm. Just get the executable and copy it to /usr/bin. You can run all console based programs with -e switch (-name FullScreen for instant fullscreen if you comment out font settings from .mrxvtrc Addison posted), so perfect for .desktop files.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
That's excatly what you wrote; just extract the package and you are done. But that's what i not do usually, cause you can easily forget about leftovers that way...

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-09-25 at 18:23.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
So were you able to get Roxterm working correctly?

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
So were you able to get Roxterm working correctly?
Using dpkg or manual install? With dpkg, yes. Manually, i was about to write my own install script at the airport yesterday when the power went out. Nothing finished by now. But yes, it ran before.

Used packages:
mrxvt-common_0.5.3-2_all.deb
mrxvt_0.5.3-2_armel.deb
roxterm_1.11.1-1.1_armel.deb
They have the least dependency issues.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-09-27 at 11:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Ok, need some clarifications. Installing roxterm is going to cause problems? Reading the first post in this thread is giving me the creeps, but mrxvt seems to have problems when switching back to it from task manager (qemu fails, normal console apps seem to lose focus, turning fullscreen off and on usually helps, but is still inconvenient). This is tragic with savegame system RLs have, so wonder if roxterm got similar problems.

I've not tested it for that long... scusi. My problems were solely dependencies-related.

No, I meant lack-of-xterm-problems, I'll do the testing of usability, unless it ends up with problems you described in first post. Don't have time for that now, though it sure sounds fun.

The xterm problem came up after uninstalling the mess _i_ created. If you just extract the package, or repackage it after changing the dependencies (basically hack the package), you won't experience it.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: