Notices

Okay guys nows the perfect time to put your wagers!!

What do you think will be the minimum requirements to get Doom 3 to run decently* on an ARM-based device?

Example:
0.7GHz Dual-Core ARM A15, 1GB RAM (DDR3 DualChannel), PowerVR SGX544MP2

*Decent playback means over 30fps with medium details at 1280x720 resolution.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Well... usb host mode ftw!
On a very small screen with so-so good black response which especially sucks at shadow-oriented games and surprise effects, also having to bring an extra kb and a mouse with you to play. While probably having to charge the battery at the same because hostmode sucks battery like a hooker juice. USB = too much cables,; BT = to much juice. using that big screen in your living room? Even more cables. Fail expected inbound.

Originally Posted by Roth View Post
There are so many different types of FPS on every system. Some are exclusively designed based on the device touchscreen or motion feature. What you meant to say is Doom 3 not FPS. But if you meant that as a joke then okay, but it's hard to detect sarcasm unless you actually mention that it is.

Anyway, I hope to see Doom 3 possible on Maemo or MeeGo Harmattan whether it's a traditional game installation or through a cloud service on out web browsers (made possible by HTML5). I mean imagine being able to play Doom 3 on the go.. local and online multiplayer. That would be freaking HOT

// Roth
I still find no reason playing an shooter (Doom 3 in this case) that was not designed for controls outside desktop computers.

As for games being designed for specific controls:
---
Whileas using a lightgun provides some pseudo-realism; it often introduces fatigue very quickly.

A Gamepad is often inaccurate and slow to react with. Even if you use a wireless / motion controller, i would like to see if you can hold your arms up for more than one hour.

Porting desktop shooters to mobile devices seems nothing more than supporting nerdgasms and providing a mere tech demo.

Using a mouse is still the most accurate and quickest control scheme while keeping fatigue low.

Do what your hearts desire. As their is always the right tool for the job; there's also always the right hardware/platform for a game. Bad car analogy: Of course you can drive a desert challenge with an Opel Combo instead of an larger 4WD like a Nissan Terrano if that's what you want for "proving something", but if it's comfortable or reliable is in doubt.

tv-out and keyboard+mouse via HEN or bluetooth

But, still, i don't think it (doom, not keyboard+mouse) will ever happen. I must admit that I'm quite uninterested in doom itself, but there are many great mods based on engines (some are not even FPS!), that would be very interesting on N900. Still, no chance due to GPU, I think.

// edit

@don_falcone

I don't know why You think bluetooth sucks much power. Both bluetooth mouse and keyboard got it's own batteries, and while I'm using my bluetooth mouse with N900, I can hardly see (via current monitoring) *any* increase in battery usage. Also, hostmode - while using *one* device, not several via HUB (for example, USB keyboard, and bluetooth mouse), doesn't suck power in any extreme rate.
Just for the record.

As for Doom 3 engine, as I've said, many great games - that would be much more playable on N900, than Your average FPS - are based on doom engine. Even adventure/action mixes, not to mention things like "unofficial Thief". It doesn't mean, that I think it will ever happen, but, it's not the case that there is no point of doing so (in case of it's being achievable)
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-28 at 08:55.

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Many have got this wrong. Doom 3 the game isn't directly available. The engine is. And the shader as in putting shadows is left out because it's some top-secret shtuff.

As for playability, if you combine methods it becomes better. I finished NOVA on the N900 with keyboard + touchscreen. Was like playing Halo except that GL suck at making storylines... (What better way is it than combining a badass spartan with saving earth from an earlier unknown threat?)
Of course, you could also use a USB gamepad + TV out. I tried that, and it was EPIC. (Played Ocarina of Time! )
And something to mention: why be afraid of making your N900 into a game console? Isn't that why we bought it..?

But when it comes to developing the GLES version... It'd be a long process of implementing all the functionality. I believe there is an extensive list of features in there.

Last edited by Nokia 5700; 2011-11-28 at 23:45.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Nokia 5700 View Post
Many have got this wrong. Doom 3 the game isn't directly available. The engine is.
good point, so if you get the engine running and get game started, it will be an interesting one.. it is called invisible man explores neverending void
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post: